Wisconsin Members - where's your "dream location" for land?

almanac12

5 year old buck +
We're selling our place and looking for new land 3 - 5 yrs down the road. No rush.

I'm looking for:
1) Good hunting options. Not just deer. Grouse, waterfowl, and turkeys would also be sweet.

2) An area not yet affected by CWD.

3) Other recreational opportunities for the kids - nearby water, hiking trails, ATV trails, maybe a town nearby with stuff to do.

4) Within 3 hrs driving distance of Milwaukee.

Where would you look? I was thinking near Green Lake County, possibly the Princeton area.

How much can you spend?

For now let's pretend money isn't under consideration. I'm thinking 1 - 3k per acre.

For now let's pretend money isn't under consideration. I'm thinking 1 - 3k per acre.

In many ideal areas you won’t find good ground for less than 3k an acre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I could go as high as 5k per acre for the right property. Would have to be well drained, healthy / mature forest for 5k per acre.

Ok, I could go as high as 5k per acre for the right property. Would have to be well drained, healthy / mature forest for 5k per acre.

Gotcha. I am only familiar with W WI, which is either in or close to CWD. W Trempealeau Co is good and not buffalo county prices. Everything Lax Co and south is or will have CWD soon.

How serious are you about the grouse part? I wouldnt bother with anything south of hwy 64 if that is high on the list. Take that off and opens up the lower 2/3 of the state and maybe not have to be at max 3 hr drive

Buffalo county would be my dream spot. But honestly waupaca county would be my second. Solid deer numbers and the bucks just seem to be a little bigger there. (150’s - 160’s).

Richland county. Probably CWD, no grouse, but some absolute giant bucks.

I have land in South East Portage county and I have several friends who have land in Waupaca county. I hunt in both counties. Grouse are few in this area of the state and turkeys are plentiful. I believe you will find the asking price for hunting land in these counties in the $3-5K range. It also probably meets your three hours from Milwaukee driving distance.

I know the area very well ... hunted, fished, recreated in Green Lake & Marquette county for many years. It is where we are retiring to.

Given your time frame to purchase, per acre $$, and looking for 100-400 acres you will find your dream place ... we did!

i travel the entire state as a result of my career. I was in the same position you are 10 years ago with the same wants. I ended up moving to door county. There are definitely different areas in the state with better overall deer size average. The fishing in door county is both diverse and exceptional , waterfowl is excellent. Turkeys may be the best in the state. Lots to do outside of hunting and fishing as well.

Grouse aren't a deal breaker. I used to Grouse hunt near the St. Croix. Lots of fun.

Door County is intriguing for sure. Probably one of the overlooked fisheries in the state. Do you hunt close to the Mink River?

Great to hear about all of the interest in Waupaca County. I'll have to check it out.

Waupaca County is great, but you will pay for it. Marquette, Waushara and Monroe counties to me offer the best balance between good hunting, recreation and price. If you want to make the drive there is some fantastic hunting developing in NE Marathon and SW Langlade counties. Much less expensive but a further drive for you.

Grouse aren't a deal breaker. I used to Grouse hunt near the St. Croix. Lots of fun.

Door County is intriguing for sure. Probably one of the overlooked fisheries in the state. Do you hunt close to the Mink River?

Great to hear about all of the interest in Waupaca County. I'll have to check it out.
i dont hunt deer near the mink, im in southern door county(below sturgeon bay) the deer density is much higher in southern door county but there are some very good deer taken in northern door each year.

i travel the entire state as a result of my career. I was in the same position you are 10 years ago with the same wants. I ended up moving to door county. There are definitely different areas in the state with better overall deer size average. The fishing in door county is both diverse and exceptional , waterfowl is excellent. Turkeys may be the best in the state. Lots to do outside of hunting and fishing as well.
yea.. totally agree southern door is probably one of the best kept secrets for deer hunting. The drawbacks to door would be summer traffic. Ridiculous.

to the poster...other areas to consider, within your 3 hour map and out of the CWD zones.
1. Waupaca County.
2. Marathon County.
3. Sheboygan County.

My priorities are different then most, but my dream location is away from people, quiet, no traffic. Luckily those are the same things that wildlife prefer as well. I may not be in prime rack country, but then again, I hunt for the meat, and am not a bone hunter, even though it is still exciting to see, and shoot big racks, it isnt the reason I hunt.

yea.. totally agree southern door is probably one of the best kept secrets for deer hunting. The drawbacks to door would be summer traffic. Ridiculous.

to the poster...other areas to consider, within your 3 hour map and out of the CWD zones.
1. Waupaca County.
2. Marathon County.
3. Sheboygan County.
traffic is only bad in summer north of sturgeon bay in the fish creek area etc. The remainder is really no different than any other rural area. When hwy 57 went to 4 lane it changed things a lot . Southern door county is pretty slow year around .

We're selling our place and looking for new land 3 - 5 yrs down the road. No rush.

I'm looking for:
1) Good hunting options. Not just deer. Grouse, waterfowl, and turkeys would also be sweet.

2) An area not yet affected by CWD.

3) Other recreational opportunities for the kids - nearby water, hiking trails, ATV trails, maybe a town nearby with stuff to do.

4) Within 3 hrs driving distance of Milwaukee.

Where would you look? I was thinking near Green Lake County, possibly the Princeton area.

Have you spent much time in Princeton, do you know the area?

1. Waupaca County.
2. Marathon County.
3. Sheboygan County.
If you know of any land in sheb county in the budget mentioned please pm me ;)