Winter Wildlife Crab

greyphase

5 year old buck +
IMG_6309.jpg

IMG_6311.jpg

Awesome! Are any dropping yet? Thanks for the pics. I put 2 in the ground last yr.

Love the pic greyphase.
Have planted a few the last couple of years.
Hope they turn out as good as yours.

Had a couple questions though.
Due they hang on the trees late cause they need a couple freeze thaws cycles to sweeten up or soften? How come birds/coons dont go after them sooner?
Ud think looking like that, any critter would be thinking hey free meal. And would be disappearing.

R they snapped up quickly after falling?
Just dont want to plant a bunch more if they r not highly sought after/used up by critters and left to rot.

Awesome! Are any dropping yet? Thanks for the pics. I put 2 in the ground last yr.
Their still holding tight.

Love the pic greyphase.
Have planted a few the last couple of years.
Hope they turn out as good as yours.

Had a couple questions though.
Due they hang on the trees late cause they need a couple freeze thaws cycles to sweeten up or soften? How come birds/coons dont go after them sooner?
Ud think looking like that, any critter would be thinking hey free meal. And would be disappearing.

R they snapped up quickly after falling?
Just dont want to plant a bunch more if they r not highly sought after/used up by critters and left to rot.

I never notice any laying around on the ground, but a few are still hanging on the tree in early spring. I have to admit that I've never tasted one, I'll try one next time I go past the tree. I'm happy with my tree but I also want some crabs that drop earlier. My All Winter Hangover and Viola crabs from SLN have both dropped all their fruit and I've found some local crabs that drop earlier and have collected scion from them.

That’s a nice looking tree for sure. I wonder if SLN will offer them this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice grey

Comes out in Dec.

We have a couple (4) WW crabs at camp. They drop slowly over the winter as I've seen. Like Greyphase, I've not seen any lying on the ground, and we have a few still on the tree come early April. Something's eating them as they fall.

I have eaten a couple off the tree. Tart mostly, but with just a tad of sweetness. I would say astringent too. A bit of dry mouth feel after chewing.

The WW crabs do grow quickly and once they have a few years in the ground, they produce heavily. When seen from some distance, the apples seem to glow bright red in Sept. and Oct. Dull brownish-red as they age.

As for SLN, I've talked to Connor Hardiman the newer owner several times and told him about the big interest in the SLN crabs from us outdoor guys. He told me he's got more crabs grafted and plans to keep a good stock of them. They just need to grow to a point where they're good to sell - whatever his standard is.

Just got my order in. 3 AWH and 2 WW. Thanks for the heads-up.

A slow drop through the winter. There will still be a few dried ones on in early spring.

SLN is up and running now for 2020 orders. A good number of crab varieties available.

Is there a current in line catalog or one being mailed?
I can’t tell if what I see on line is current or not.

SLN is up and running now for 2020 orders. A good number of crab varieties available.

Is there a current in line catalog or one being mailed?
I can’t tell if what I see on line is current or not.

I found the 2020 catalog on line.

Peeps - How long have yours been in the ground?? We love these WW crabs.