Winter Widgeons

Steve Oehlenschlager

5 year old buck +
Not a very common duck for us here in Minnesota but some places...especially out West it is very commonDSC_3500_1.jpg _DSC4425_1.jpg DSC_5504_1.jpg _DSC6744_1.jpg

We shoot a lot of them here and they really are a beautiful bird in hand, but your pics of them "on the hoof" are just amazing.

Widgeon are my favorite duck. I am sure we have asked before, but I assume you have had multiple pictures in DU, Delta, etcc. magazines?

A few in DU and Delta....Always trying for more.

A few in DU and Delta....Always trying for more.

Do they tend to have staff photographers? Or is there just that much competition? Looks like with the quality of your photos you would be an easy pick.

DU is very competitive...They have about 150 people regularly contributing while Delta has a staff photographer who does the vast majority of it.

Stunning Steve!!!

Steve - your photos always have so much detail and sharpness to them that captures the smallest thing that makes them so entertaining to look at. The individual droplets of water or the fine details of the rough edge of the bill and the like is just awesome. The composition and the color contrast and the like are also something that I am not sure you plan - since you work with wild subject matter, but it is really, really cool.

Glad you all like them. I got some more of Various ducks I will post in the next few weeks. But now the spring Wood Ducks are keeping me busy and then there are all the various grouse I need to chase this spring and the turkeys! It just never ends!!!