Winter Rye / Winter Wheat - Plant alone or mix together. Adams county Wi

Joe Buck

5 year old buck +
We have a strip about 11 yds. long by 340 yds. long, are we better of to divide into 2 narrower strips and keep separate or mix together in one strip. We have some Purple Top Turnips that we would like to add as well. We can't plant until Aug. 26. I know that is probably too late for the PTT but due to distance to land and time restraints we don't have much choice. We don't own the land and have to work with our farm owner as well. Thanking you in advance for any help.

We have a strip about 11 yds. long by 340 yds. long, are we better of to divide into 2 narrower strips and keep separate or mix together in one strip. We have some Purple Top Turnips that we would like to add as well. We can't plant until Aug. 26. I know that is probably too late for the PTT but due to distance to land and time restraints we don't have much choice. We don't own the land and have to work with our farm owner as well. Thanking you in advance for any help.
I'd mix the cereal grains together and go back over it with the PTT. You are right about the PTT's probably will not produce much other than greens.

Save the PTT. That's really late to get any growth up here. Mix the grains or plant them separate as an experiment. Can't go wrong either way.

I would agree on the "save the PPT" comments, IF you feel the need to plant something "leafy" in there, grab a pound or two of DER and throw that down instead. It is a 45 day brassica and will produce leaves early. It is also very cold tolerant and can continue to grow even after surviving multiple light frosts.

x3 on the PPT ... plant your clover now and plant the WR in 2nd week of Sept so it does not over grow and become less palatable.

I would agree. There is no real benefit to strip planting with cereal grains. Generally strip planting has an advantage when you want to manage crops in each strip differently. In the case of cereal grains, there are not management differences. Each cereal grain peaks at a little different time. Instead of the PTT, I'd consider a cool season legume like clover.

I have one plot that I only plant a mixture or winter rye, winter wheat, and oats all planted together. Although I spread them separately. Because the seeds are different sizes, and I didn’t want patches, not that the deer would care.

I too am stuck holding off on planting my usual turnip/radish because of lack of time, and been busy with other projects. I will be planting mine the last week of August.

Isn't the last week of Aug. to late to plant oates ? I've been told they will be dead at the very 1st frost.

Oats are actually fairly frost hardy. They can survive temps in the mid to low 20's, maybe high teens for a bit if it warms up.

They aren’t that hardy, but they are candy. It seems to really draw the deer in to the food plot, then they stay for the winter wheat, and winter rye. But the oats get them coming in, even if they don’t last very long before dieing off from frost.