Winter rye, grass or broadleaf

Nova

5 year old buck +
Is winter rye considered a grass or a broadleaf? Would a broadleaf herbicide like 2-4D kill it?

I am thinking of using 2-4D on my beans at the farm once they dry down to kill off the ragweed. Then I want to overseed them with winter rye. Or I may want to overseed with winter rye a couple weeks before I spray 2-4D even before the beans dry down.

PS. I know it's called rye grass by some, but the question really is will 2-4D kill it?

Last edited:
You’re WR should be fine I believe but why not wait till the beans yellow and then spray with gly to kill all weeds/grass then spread your WR the same day. If you spread the WR too soon the beans may be too full of veg yet and shade the WR seed too much to germinate well.

You’re WR should be fine I believe but why not wait till the beans yellow and then spray with gly to kill all weeds/grass then spread your WR the same day. If you spread the WR too soon the beans may be too full of veg yet and shade the WR seed too much to germinate well.
I have sprayed gly once already and plant to make one more trip up there to do it again, BUT I have a ragweed problem and gly won't touch it. That's why I want to hit it with 2-4D. The beans will be close to the yellow stage before I sew the WR, but might not be quite there, but I certainly want the beans drying down to open up the canopy for the spray to terminate the ragweed yet not kill the beans.

Winter rye is a grass, just like all other cereal grains. Oats, barley, wheat, triticale, spelt, sorghum, millet, corn, all grasses.

Is winter rye considered a grass or a broadleaf? Would a broadleaf herbicide like 2-4D kill it?

I am thinking of using 2-4D on my beans at the farm once they dry down to kill off the ragweed. Then I want to overseed them with winter rye. Or I may want to overseed with winter rye a couple weeks before I spray 2-4D even before the beans dry down.

PS. I know it's called rye grass by some, but the question really is will 2-4D kill it?

If you are just growing food plots, why not leave the ragweed? Deer love it, turkeys love it, and quail love it! It grows like a weed, and it is free.

Cereal rye and ryegrass are 2 completely different species. Most everyone agrees on the food value of cereal rye but ryegrass is questionable and generally only eaten at high deer densities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are just growing food plots, why not leave the ragweed? Deer love it, turkeys love it, and quail love it! It grows like a weed, and it is free.

And I’m with this guy. Ragweed in a food plot is something I’m usually not willing to hook up the sprayer for. And by the time your beans have made seed, the ragweed will probably have made seed as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winter rye is a cereal grain and thus a grass. It is a completely different plant than Ryegrass. Ryegrass can in some cases become very hard to get rid of. It is generally low on the deer preference list but they do eat it. There are perennial and annual reseeding forms of ryegrass. Some experienced food plotters in some areas have found a place for high sucrose ryegrass in their programs, but I wouldn't recommend a beginner mess with it. One needs to be sure they select a variety that can be terminated when desired in their area without herculean efforts.

I'm emphasizing this difference between Winter Rye (Cereal Grain) and Ryegrass especially for folks new to this so they don't confuse one for the other. While they are both grasses, they are very different plants with very different characteristics.

Thanks,

Jack

Winter rye is a cereal grain and thus a grass. It is a completely different plant than Ryegrass. Ryegrass can in some cases become very hard to get rid of. It is generally low on the deer preference list but they do eat it. There are perennial and annual reseeding forms of ryegrass. Some experienced food plotters in some areas have found a place for high sucrose ryegrass in their programs, but I wouldn't recommend a beginner mess with it. One needs to be sure they select a variety that can be terminated when desired in their area without herculean efforts.

I'm emphasizing this difference between Winter Rye (Cereal Grain) and Ryegrass especially for folks new to this so they don't confuse one for the other. While they are both grasses, they are very different plants with very different characteristics.

Thanks,

Jack
this x2!!! winter rye (some also call cereal rye) is NOT Rye grass.

It's giant ragweed and out competes the beans and shades them out. I have had a lot of people tell me that deer love it, but ours don't touch it. It's becoming a problem much like my red root pigweed at home.

And yes, I am talking winter rye(cereal rye grain) not rye grass.

Giant ragweed will get HUGE. I have it here and the deer will browse on it when it is young and actively growing but it drops off the bigger it gets. Yes 2-4D or gly will kill it unless your has developed some sort of gly resistance. I try to kill it while it is still young in plots so then my corn or beans can shade out anything that survives. I am in the "kill the pigweed" crowd - if it's in a plot. It can be very difficult to kill (here it is gly resistant) and it will easily take over. Deer may browse it, but it isn't worth the headache in a plot. I'll let it go in buffers and the like, but not in a plot. I mow pigweed in perennial plots and spray as best I can in row crop plots. Pigweed may not cause you an issue this year if you let it go, but you will kick yourself in the butt next year. I will say that beans will compete to some extent with weeds, but obviously there is a tipping point. If it's just a few plants I would not worry about it. if it's a fair number....then they need to go if possible.

I just looked at my butyrac label today and it states it's safe to use on soy beans.
Never tried it but it's right there on the label. Kill the ragweed and pig weed no harm to the beans.
If it curls them a bit it might be just what the doctored ordered for Nova.

I just looked at my butyrac label today and it states it's safe to use on soy beans.
Never tried it but it's right there on the label. Kill the ragweed and pig weed no harm to the beans.
If it curls them a bit it might be just what the doctored ordered for Nova.

I read the same label but had a different experience.

I read the same label but had a different experience.

Did it kill the beans? Curious because I thought it was odd to be on the label. Even though my coop guy said years ago they did use it on beans.

It sure did! Truthfully, I'm not remembering all the detail of what the label said. I just thought any legume would be able to metabolize the herbicide. I'm wondering if the size of the bean plant makes a difference. Mine were only two or three inches, about the same size as the weeds that needed dead. And I guess that's the problem with Butyrac. It seems to work, but only if the weeds (or the cash crop) are the right height (age, size). And, quite frankly, my eyesight isn't so good. Maybe the label said 4 oz and might have thought it was an 8.

Last edited: