winter rye germination?

yukonhunter

A good 3 year old buck
Broadcasted my winter rye over my brassicas yesterday, we got a good rain today, how long do you think it will take to germinate

4-10 days in the ground this time of year. Who knows broadcast on top, could be 4 days, could be 14 or 21.

It's fine I had the dew germinate 50% of mine last week.

4-5 days on ground that was disked. Throwing it on top took 2 weeks for me this year. Rained the day after I seeded it.

You should see something within a week.

I really didn't have much germination with just broadcasting on top. I think from now on I will try to work the soil for cereal grains. Have others have much for success just broadcasting onto dead thatch?

I don't know maybe I got some poor seed or something, I will try growing some at home in a pot.

Broadcasting into a month old brassicas worked well for me this year.

I really didn't have much germination with just broadcasting on top. I think from now on I will try to work the soil for cereal grains. Have others have much for success just broadcasting onto dead thatch?
I would drag it if u have thatch. The scratching seems to get the seed down to the soil much better.

I lightly disked in some winter rye on Saturday and with a couple of days of rain and heat it's already over 2" tall and looking great. I was surprised at how quickly it grew and it looks like I have some volunteer oat and pea seeds also sprouting. I also overseeded some rye seed on an adjacent thin stand of brassicas on sandy soil and I didn't see any evidence of the new overseeded rye germinating. I really haven't had much luck at all the past 3 years when overseeding rye, but I'm really impressed with the results of lighly disking in the seed.

Glad it worked for u Ben. It's good more people are taking advantage of how easy it is and still a great food source. I still like to have plenty of oats in there because the deer seem to prefer it over the rye.

Glad it worked for u Ben. It's good more people are taking advantage of how easy it is and still a great food source. I still like to have plenty of oats in there because the deer seem to prefer it over the rye.

How do oats work with just broadcasting into standing crops like brassicas? Not very well right?

Not near as good as rye, oats like to be under a tiny bit of dirt(1/4"-1/2") for best germination.

Not near as good as rye, oats like to be under a tiny bit of dirt(1/4"-1/2") for best germination.
Figured. That is why I never tried it. Has anyone had success just broadcasting and walking away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cut spring planted oats and leave it.
0E1F48E7-B38C-4BC9-9A98-52F16C9EB359.jpg

07828D4F-9C27-43B3-B1F6-3A096D786961.jpg

Yum yum a many doe died here between sept-dec.
This particular spot was a 5 acre spring planted Alfalfa with oats cover. Oats was awesome fall food and alfalfa was perfect going into the next spring

Planted too thick-just impossible. Alfalfa never plunked an eye with the thick oats.
BCB31A66-3FA4-487A-9DDD-F9C94390A8C6.jpg

I do this all the time. I have some shooting lane strips this year, but I spring planted oats, sorghum Sudan and buckwheat. Oats is 8"s. I spiced it up last week by no tilling rye and clover for next year.
It's just toooooo easy check out the dipper rotation it's all there step by step

Planted too thick-just impossible
BCB31A66-3FA4-487A-9DDD-F9C94390A8C6.jpg

I do this all the time. I have some shooting lane strips this year, but I spring planted oats, sorghum Sudan and buckwheat. Oats is 8"s. I spiced it up last week by no tilling rye and clover for next year.
It's just toooooo easy
I've tried oats twice in spring and it failed both times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you tilling and dragging your oat plantings? Or how are you putting them in?

Drill in spring, brush hog in fall. Nothing more. It would help to drag or light disc.