Wind Damaged Corn Plot

HuntIL2

Yearling... With promise
So I have about 1.5 acre food plot that was all corn. I had planned on planting a strip of brassica around the otter edge of the plot this weekend. Well that was before a fairly large storm hit the area. between 5- 8 inches of rain and wind. I haven't seen the actual damage yet but I exchanged text messages with the farmer who rents the crop group from us and he thinks he lost at least half of the corn crop to wind. Maybe some of the stalks aren't totally broken but he made it sound that way.

If my corn food plot is damage this much (it's on a lower elevation so maybe not as bad???) is there anything I can do. Should I just spread brassica seed everywhere and hope that it grows through the knocked over stalks? I don't have large enough equipment to start over completely.

I think that is a good plan. If the corn stalk broke, it will start to brown and die down, creating sunlight for the newly spread seeds. Maybe include some winter rye, peas, oats etc. with the brassicas?

I think your plan sounds good. If the corn dies and sunlight hits the ground then you might have brassicas growing instead of weeds. If the corn stays green and alive then you're only out the cost of the brassica seed.

Yep - turn lemons into lemonade! Broadcast brassica and potentially cereal grains into areas that are damaged and let mother nature do her thing. A small plot tends to be more sheltered and a lower elevation may have saved you from the brunt of it as well.

I did this with a plot a few years ago where my corn only grew to like 4 feet tall and didn't produce an ear (wet year, late planting, lots of issues) - just roll with it as best you can.