WINA products

roymunson

5 year old buck +
I have a spot where I'm going to put in some perrenial clover (We've had good success with WINA Imperial Clover), and I'll probably mix some oats in with it.

The deer will have to come thru a little 1/3 acre plot I'm going to plant in august and I want to know what's a good early season planting to have them stage in the 1/3 acre piece for a little bit before they head to the clover.

Not worried about later feeding in the year, I have other locations for that, this is a spot I want to try to catch a buck in late september or early october, before frost.

This little kill plot was wheat, AWP, and Daikon Radishes last year. The deer hit them hard.
It's been limed this spring.

Question 1- how much oats should I mix in with that clover I'm going to throw n mow on a 1.3 acre bit

Question 2- What is your go to early season plot/ attractant (other than clover, as I already have that up against this little kill plot). Was thinking of WINA Beets n Greens or Bowstand.

I know some of the WINA stuff is overpriced, and I can get a comp from a local seed shop, but for the sake of the discussion, what do you guys like for an early season spot.

#1- I'd do 50-100# of oats with the clover on the 1.3 acre plot.
#2- I like the Dbltree cereal grain mix for early season, rye, oats, red clover, peas, radishes and I started adding sunflowers.

Personally, I like WINA for their perennials and Power Plant. I’m a big believer in their clover. If it were me, I would supercharge that WINA clover plot with WINA chicory (or just use WINA Fusion, which is their clover + chicory mixed together).

For the small 1/3 acre plot, I might consider WINA Alfa-Rack Plus. This assumes a few things:

1. The soil pH is low to mid 6’s or better
2. You are man enough to try growing alfalfa

You are looking for early season attraction, which is when an alfalfa plot shines in my area. You would probably want to include some cereal grains this year, but next year the mix of WINA alfalfa, chicory and clover in Alfa-Rack Plus will come on strong and potentially make a great kill plot for several years if you maintain it.

If you’re not going to do perennials, there’s lots of fall annual blends on the market. Most of the major online seed retailers are now selling fall mixes that you can buy in smaller amounts for little pots. For instance, I believe both Hancock and Deer Creek are offering products to fill that need. I tried WINA Tall Tine Tubers a few years ago in a small 1/3 acre plot. It grew a great brassica plot, but I wouldn’t say it was noticeably better than brassica seed I’ve purchased elsewhere.

Last edited:
First, for a perennial clover plot, I would wait till fall and use WR as the nurse crop instead of oats. The WR will over winter and help keep weeds at bay next spring while the perennial clover is putting down roots. WINA has a lot of annual berseem clover in the mix with a small amount of their perennial improved varieties. I find the cereal grains pretty attractive when they are young, early in the season.

Another trick for early season bow plots is to plant warm season annuals in the fall like buckwheat, soybeans, or cowpeas. Typically, I can negotiate a pretty good price on soybeans that are left over after farmers have finished planting for the year. Because they are annuals, they germinate quickly in warm soil and produce succulent top growth with lots of energy quite quickly. Deer are highly attracted to them at this stage of growth. Keep in mind that these will die at the first frost if the deer have not polished them off. So, include enough cool season seed in your mix to fill in after these are gone.

This trick does not work everywhere. It depends when your early archery season dates are compared to your first frost.

Thanks,

Jack

Personally, I like WINA for their perennials and Power Plant. I’m a big believer in their clover. If it were me, I would supercharge that WINA clover plot with WINA chicory (or just use WINA Fusion, which is their clover + chicory mixed together).

For the small 1/3 acre plot, I might consider WINA Alfa-Rack Plus. This assumes a few things:

1. The soil pH is low to mid 6’s or better
2. You are man enough to try growing alfalfa

i'm not. I know the soil isn't quite there for alfalfa just yet. but I have dreams.

good input here, and I think I have an idea on where i'm headed now.