Willow Trees

PrairieShadow

5 year old buck +
What have you guys found to be the fastest suckering/spreading willow that will live in zone 3/4? I'm looking to create a willow thicket.

Yellow twig, Silky then maybe ROD.
My biggest setback on willow growing big and fast has been deer browsing...kind of a double edged sword, I want it to come in good for deer food and screen but deer like it almost too well.

I'm going to try some Flame willow next spring along our road front, I just like the look.

As I understand it, silky willow does not root sucker and is also not a preferred browse species. At least that's what I've been told from Tom at Big Rock.

My opinion on the best way to create a thicket would be to cage and water as many willows/dogwoods as you have time for and after two years move the cages onto new plantings. I'm guessing that within 5 years you could have a sizable thicket.

I have alot of laurel leaf willow planted and love them. They like water and they grow fast. I'm in zone 4.

I have alot of laurel leaf willow planted and love them. They like water and they grow fast. I'm in zone 4.
Laurel's are not known for suckering though right? That's what has been drawing me to the sandbars instead. Every sucker they put up is one less tree I have to plant.

You are correct, I missed the part of you wanting them to sucker.