Will these survive?

I dont think I will ever plant a tree again with a dibble bar or a plug tool again. I want bigger trees so I can hopefully see them turn into something. I must have planted a couple thousand plugs on our land and none of them have done shit. The plugs we got from NCR a few years ago were awful. The ABP plugs I got from Itasca last year were the best I ever had and a few of them actually did a little growing last year. Think I am gonna head up Wednesday and plant my tree order for the year. Corn planting is gonna get shut down around home.

I dont think I will ever plant a tree again with a dibble bar or a plug tool again. I want bigger trees so I can hopefully see them turn into something. I must have planted a couple thousand plugs on our land and none of them have done shit. The plugs we got from NCR a few years ago were awful. The ABP plugs I got from Itasca last year were the best I ever had and a few of them actually did a little growing last year. Think I am gonna head up Wednesday and plant my tree order for the year. Corn planting is gonna get shut down around home.

Is corn planting done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Art,

Corn planting is 40% done for me. Will be 98% done Wed if it doesnt rain and hopefully done with beans by Thursday evening, and then possibly back to the hunting shack for more experimenting, and maybe a little fishing.

What do you think of these acorns? I collected them last fall and pulled the shell off and let them sit in a ziplock bag in my garage over the winter. Last Tuesday when I went up north I found them all sprouted out in the bag. I cleared little patches off the mounds we made with the skid loader when we made our trails. The soils is like potting soil. Also planted some in a row under where an old log laid, and a row in one of the old food plots.

Am I gonna have any survive?

I planted them from just under the surface to a few inches deep. I put the sprout facing straight up, but I watched some youtube vids that said lay them on the side. I would sure love to get a couple dozen trees out of the 150+ sprouted acorns that I planted. I would like to transplant some this fall and some again next spring if they sprout. If they start growing I will immediately cage them so they have all summer to grow. Half of them are in full sun and the other half are in partial sun. I wont know unless I experiment. They all seem to be in good moisture.

IMG_4644.JPGIMG_4645.JPGIMG_4646.JPGIMG_4647.JPGIMG_4648.JPGIMG_4649.JPGIMG_4650.JPG

Actually, Buck, the initial “sprout” is actually the taproot and the stem will rise later from the roots. The acorn is normally planted on its side and gravity will cause it to grow down and the stem will grow up. Assuming they have enough moisture to survive the radicle(root) will reorient itself down and grow normally if they are completely covered with moist soil and don’t dry out. Or mice and squirrels will find them and happily feast. Good luck!

The spruce trees that I transplanted in late April have Awesome growth on 90% of them. Some of the later planted are struggling a little more, especially the bigger trees. The trees that are about 16-20" tall are perfect. As of right now it looks like 90+% of them will survive. Huge success, but they need rain.

IMG_5139.JPGIMG_5221.JPGIMG_5226.JPG

Jury is still out on the dogwood cuttings. If I ever do it again I wont put them in direct sun. I still have a little better than 50% survival. They could use a real soaker.

IMG_5200.JPG

And I actually sprouted quite a few acorns on my bobcat dirt piles just off the edges of our trails. I would guess I have 30 out of 150+ acorns that I pushed in. I'm impressed. I wasnt really expecting to get any. I may cage them and then transplant next spring. Probably leave a few right where they are as well. I pulled a bunch of the weeds from around them. Hope the critters dont get them in the meantime.

I might buy a few apple trees next year, but from now on I transplant spruce and start my own oaks and cut my dogwood.

IMG_5180.JPGIMG_5219.JPG

"Life will find a way"

Dr Ian Malcolm...Jurassic Park.....~1993

bill

And I actually sprouted quite a few acorns on my bobcat dirt piles just off the edges of our trails. I would guess I have 30 out of 150+ acorns that I pushed in. I'm impressed. I wasnt really expecting to get any. I may cage them and then transplant next spring. Probably leave a few right where they are as well. I pulled a bunch of the weeds from around them. Hope the critters dont get them in the meantime.

I might buy a few apple trees next year, but from now on I transplant spruce and start my own oaks and cut my dogwood.

View attachment 24751View attachment 24752

Were those red or white oak acorns?

Art,

Some of the acorns came from Hutch Cemetery, and some came from a friends place up by Clearwater. They are all white or burr or swamp white oak as far as I know. We have plenty of red oak in the woods already.

Jury is still out on the dogwood cuttings. If I ever do it again I wont put them in direct sun. I still have a little better than 50% survival. They could use a real soaker.

View attachment 24750
I planted a few ROD cuttings last year and about 50 this year. One thing I have noticed on my plantings is that they are very slow starters.

The ROD cuttings I planted last year have moderate growth this year. This years cuttings are lagging behind every other cutting I planted. I have Streamco willows I planted the same day and they have 10x the growth.

Art,

Some of the acorns came from Hutch Cemetery, and some came from a friends place up by Clearwater. They are all white or burr or swamp white oak as far as I know. We have plenty of red oak in the woods already.

I know bur oak send down a long taproot and they might be difficult to transplant..

Do they still have the long taproot on wetter soils?

By the end of summer I may be able tell you, last fall I planted a 4 by 12 foot area with bur oak acorns. They are planted in the lower part of my garden. Its heavy clay and is super damp this year. My low ground is super wet and backing up into my yard. I have crayfish mounds adjacent to the garden area.

I know bur oak send down a long taproot and they might be difficult to transplant..

Do they still have the long taproot on wetter soils?

I am grass green on all of this. I have watched quite a few YouTube videos of raising trees from acorns. I’m concerned about that long root as well. Plan to grow a few in pots in my basement this winter for fun. The ones already up north and out of the ground are strictly for experts to see what I can do with them.

I get the bur oak seedlings from my parents flower beds. When they are small you can get them tap roots and all.

UPDATE:

Of the 100s of spuce and pine that I transplanted this spring, some of them up to 5 feet tall, I would say that 98+% have survived. The trees around that 2' mark are thriving. It is a huge success. Throw away the worthless dibble bars and plug tools.

Of the 150 dogwood cuttings that I just simply pushed into the ground I would say that 35-40% survived so far. Will probably try about 500 more next spring. It only takes a few seconds per cutting. Gonna need some root gel or something.

IMG_5404.JPGIMG_5421.JPGIMG_5451.JPG

Love the results.
Wish we had pine/spruce volunteers we could pluck out of the ditch (not including all our cedar).
Think part of it is u hit the yealry weather lotto with all the constant rain this spring. Spring of 2012 Im sure the percentages would be slighly differnt. Turned into a good year to plant a tree, plots on the otherhand are another story.

Pull a couple of the red osiers that you think are dead and see if they are putting out roots, I have a sand stooling bed and a certain (low) percentage of those that appear dead still have green cambium near the bases of what I stuck into the soil and were actively rooting (wouldnt think it was possible with out some green foliage). You might be actually see some latent growth out of those. Im into the 2nd year in the bed and some of those "dead" RO's have come back from the grave.

Like you said, takes a second to stick in the ground and really only a little effort to take cuttings. Ditto on the weather comment - best year in a long time up here for tree plantings.

I hope your right Cavey. I planted these dogwoods in clumps so they are very easy to find and monitor. Seems to me that soil type was was important to survival as well as keeping them out of full sunlight. The ones with some shade and not such a hard clay underneath did much better. Other than a 3" rain about 10 days ago we had been pretty dry up there compared to the last few years. I would expect more rain in a typical mid May-mid July than we had this year. Looks like we are about to enter a real hot and dry stretch so they are gonna get tested.

Capture.PNG