will gly work after a rain?

scoot52

5 year old buck +
Friday I was off work to spray a plot. It had rained early morning but I went out and hit it with gly about 2 to 3 hours after the rain. The weeks where wet but will it still get a good burn? It didn't rain after I sprayed it. Thanks

You will be fine. Rain before doesn't change the amount of gly you put down.

All depends on how dry the vegetation was and its absorbtion rates ...

If the foliage was dry when you applied the gly you shouldnt see any difference in up take. I havent noticed any difference in kill if the rain holds off for a 1-2 hours after application if the temps are warm.

You should be fine. I've actually sprayed and had it rain about 2-3 hours afterwards and had a good kill.

I agree with others. You should be fine.

If I am spraying wet weeds with gly or grass killer I always add a little extra crop oil. I always get a good kill from gly, 2 weeks ago I spot sprayed thistle while it was raining (just short of a down pour) and got a great kill.

The key to a good Glyphosate burn is to know your weeds first and foremost! Most guys are spraying when weeds are way off label. Off label meaning 2-3' tall or more. Some weeds take as much as a gallon of glyphosate per acre or more when on label, some only 16 oz per acre. Some weeds are resistant to glyphosate. Read the label if you want good results.

Using 15-20 gallons of water per acre, for good coverage when weeds are tall, can help. Fully loaded products have a good surfactant in them already, but you can benefit under certain circumstances from the addition of more surfactant. As AD said Crop oil may help as well. All Glyphosate products require the use of Ammonium Sulfate, its on the label. Can you spray without it, sure, but it is used to soften the water for magnesium and calcium to help the glyphosate work better. Spraying in the mornings when plants have opened up can result in better kill. Spraying late evening when plants are shutting down for the day, can limit your success of a good kill, especially if a rain comes through overnight!