All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wildlife Group has Franklin Ciders

DrDirtNap

5 year old buck +
For those interested in Franklin Cider apple trees, Alllen Deese at the Wildlife Group has some in stock on B118 rootstock....I just bought some and planted them today. I was in a hurry like always and didn't take any pictures. They are in 7 gallon pots and real nice trees like most trees I've bought from Allen in the past. I didn't want to pay a high freight bill for the potted trees so he pulled them out of the pots and boxed them up for me. The cost is $45 each and he said he had about 80 left. Just thought I'd let you all know.

For those interested in Franklin Cider apple trees, Alllen Deese at the Wildlife Group has some in stock on B118 rootstock....I just bought some and planted them today. I was in a hurry like always and didn't take any pictures. They are in 7 gallon pots and real nice trees like most trees I've bought from Allen in the past. I didn't want to pay a high freight bill for the potted trees so he pulled them out of the pots and boxed them up for me. The cost is $45 each and he said he had about 80 left. Just thought I'd let you all know.
45 dollars is highway robbery for an Apple tree. I love how these guys take advantage of our capitalist system lol

45 dollars is highway robbery for an Apple tree. I love how these guys take advantage of our capitalist system lol

Yes that's a high price but Franklin Cider bare root trees with the mystery rootstock are $35 at Stark Bros. Given the size of the trees I got from the WG I didn't think it was too bad....all I'm doing letting folks know.

I’m glad I picked one of these up before places were asking for your first born. I get the wildlife group being so much I’m sure they have to pay a premium through starks to get them too.

We have 2500 trees in the ground wholesale pricing of trees ordered in no less than 100 are never over $11.00 ea and usually about $8.00 ea including some bought from Starks

Local spring garden centers are up to $65.00 ea in the spring

Dunstan vs Chinese and other crosses...Marketing matters when it comes to price.

Yes that's a high price but Franklin Cider bare root trees with the mystery rootstock are $35 at Stark Bros. Given the size of the trees I got from the WG I didn't think it was too bad....all I'm doing letting folks know.
Yes that’s cool and I am sure the tree will,be fine it’s just a bit too much for my taste or should I say for my hard cider since there are so many other fine cider varieties. I have made some awesome hard cider with my apples that I pay an average of 12 to 15 dollars per tree

Yes that’s cool and I am sure the tree will,be fine it’s just a bit too much for my taste or should I say for my hard cider since there are so many other fine cider varieties. I have made some awesome hard cider with my apples that I pay an average of 12 to 15 dollars per tree
So you're saying that the average person who isn't interested in making championship level hard cider really shouldn't worry about paying crazy prices for trees/varieties hyped by those who have nothing to gain but profit?

So you're saying that the average person who isn't interested in making championship level hard cider really shouldn't worry about paying crazy prices for trees/varieties hyped by those who have nothing to gain but profit?
Nope just saying I m not interested. I don’t speak for others lol `

I don't think we are going quite that far. Every variety of tree has different characteristics. The question is whether those characteristics are sufficient to justify the cost in you application. For example, Dunstan chestnuts have some nice characteristics. The nuts tend to fall from the burs making them more easily accessible to deer. The phenotype varies between pretty close to Chinese to somewhat more American. Chestnut Hill did a great job of marketing them. They are a great wildlife tree but the markup was not worth it to me over Chinese. Well, instead of going with Chinese, I decided to grow my own from nuts. A great winter cabin fever reliever and it lowers cost.

Along the same line, Franklin Cider Apple has some great characteristics for wildlife, not just for cider. I don't make cider, but I decided to buy a pair of trees. I certainly would not spend this much on most apple trees, but one or two, I can afford and I'm just interested to see how they do this far south. If your only interest is wildlife value, there are probably more economical ways to go about it for most folks.

I don't think we are going quite that far. Every variety of tree has different characteristics. The question is whether those characteristics are sufficient to justify the cost in you application. For example, Dunstan chestnuts have some nice characteristics. The nuts tend to fall from the burs making them more easily accessible to deer. The phenotype varies between pretty close to Chinese to somewhat more American. Chestnut Hill did a great job of marketing them. They are a great wildlife tree but the markup was not worth it to me over Chinese. Well, instead of going with Chinese, I decided to grow my own from nuts. A great winter cabin fever reliever and it lowers cost.

Along the same line, Franklin Cider Apple has some great characteristics for wildlife, not just for cider. I don't make cider, but I decided to buy a pair of trees. I certainly would not spend this much on most apple trees, but one or two, I can afford and I'm just interested to see how they do this far south. If your only interest is wildlife value, there are probably more economical ways to go about it for most folks.
what? you typed all that and said nothing?

What varieties/blends have you made? What were they like? I'm just getting into brewing, and cider is what I am most interested in.

What varieties/blends have you made? What were they like? I'm just getting into brewing, and cider is what I am most interested in.
I have made quite a few batches over the years using everything from single variety like Kingston Black to blends of 8 or 9 varieties of sweet and tart apples and most recently I made a mix of all my cider varieties that I was able to harvest this year. I always make mine sparkling and back sweeten toa sweetness that is not too sweet but adds some sweetness to enhance the true flavor and characteristics of the apple itself. Good thing is that cider apples don’t need to look pretty so they really don’t need any spraying unless they look like they Re developing issues

What were the standouts? Any disappointments? What varieties do you have?

What were the standouts? Any disappointments? What varieties do you have?
Kingston Black was awesome as a single variety and there were a few batches that were disappointing. I have over 100 varieties of apples although quite a few are single trees. Recent years I have been planting and grafting cider varieties originating in France and England as well as a few great American cider varieties. Truth is any Apple can make good cider but most experts of which I am not claim a blend of sweet, bittersweet, sharp and bittersharp make the best hard ciders. Get a book or 2 about cider making or google cider varieties and see what might be interesting. Making hard cider is pretty easy and fun. I have a partial list of some varieties I have in the scion exchange thread

Sence we are on the topic of cider,
had a question I wanted to ask.

I am starting a backyard orchard with cider in mind. Have room for 10 semi dwarf (b118) trees on 25ft spacing. 5 r going in the ground this spring (Golden R, Frostbite, Kingston Black, Ashmeads K, Hewes C).

Can 1 tree of a specific variety provide enough volume of Apple juice to make a difference in the grand scheme of things?
Never done this before, don't even know how much juice a tree will give a guy.

Sence we are on the topic of cider,
had a question I wanted to ask.

I am starting a backyard orchard with cider in mind. Have room for 10 semi dwarf (b118) trees on 25ft spacing. 5 r going in the ground this spring (Golden R, Frostbite, Kingston Black, Ashmeads K, Hewes C).

Can 1 tree of a specific variety provide enough volume of Apple juice to make a difference in the grand scheme of things?
Never done this before, don't even know how much juice a tree will give a guy.

I have only made cider for two years, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

One tree out of ten will make a difference in the flavor. Plus remember that you will be making cider at different times with early, mid, and later ripening apples.

If you have ten varieties, you should consider blends at each pressing(if you wish). Late frosts, biennial crops, will provide different yields per tree in most years and the cider will vary.

As I said, just from a very inexperienced person.

I like some sharp crabs in there and something to give it red color. Some think red fleshed apples have more antioxidants.
2403a4c7a013bc58ad3044e0c3107b96.jpg

For me, each batch of cider is different. I have made 5 or 6 batches total in two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk