Wildflowers?

shawnv

5 year old buck +
I was considering making a purchase from somewhere like the nursery below for a wildflower plot but at their rate I'm not sure if they are overcharging or if it would be used by the deer enough to justify the cost so I'm looking to see what you all think. They are supposed to be way more drought resistant, just as attractive to deer and compete well with weeds so I was thinking I could line a mini plot with this instead of NWSG which would double as security and food.

http://www.prairiemoon.com/seed-mixes/jungle-prairie-seed-mix.html

Those prices look pretty high: have you looked at Ernst Conservation Seeds in Pennsylvania?

Check with Prairie frontier...

I've bought seeds from them, but not any mixes. I can vouch for their quality, but I'm not sure about the price.

It isn't a poor man's hobby, unless u harvest your own

Yes, it has a large initial cost but is should last for a long time after that so it's not so bad if you think about it that way. With that said I'm fine with the cost as long as the deer us it.

I've got about 4 pounds of wildflower seed I collected last year from along the road. Put a lot of miles scouting on my bike. The flowering times on the seed I collected is consistent from late spring to fall. I'd select my seed to time the flowering this way.

Prairie Moon is a little high on price but I have always been happy with thier product. You
could always buy grass seed and mix in a few inexpensive forbs.