Wild Lupine (Lupinus perennis)

bueller

I know this stuff grows naturally in my area but I haven't seen any of it on my place, at least in sufficient enough amounts to collect seeds. I'm thinking of ordering a pound of seed (covers ~1000 ft) and broadcasting it under a portion of the power lines running through my property. I know the native plants drop their seed late June. I was thinking of seeding the lupine late summer - early fall when I plant rye and clover in my plots. But I've read some places that spring is the time to plant. Anybody have experience with planting lupine?

What's the going rate for a pound of Lupine? I have grown from seed, but only in individual pots with replanting to farm.

What's the going rate for a pound of Lupine? I have grown from seed, but only in individual pots with replanting to farm.
Cheapest I found while searching the other night was...

$23.99 at http://m.outsidepride.com/seed/flower-seed/lupine/lupine-perennial-wildflower-seed.html

$29.99 at http://www.americanmeadows.com/perennial-lupine-seeds

I contacted both places regarding spring vs fall planting and both advised spring was preferred but both were OK.

Cheapest I found while searching the other night was...

$23.99 at http://m.outsidepride.com/seed/flower-seed/lupine/lupine-perennial-wildflower-seed.html

$29.99 at http://www.americanmeadows.com/perennial-lupine-seeds

I contacted both places regarding spring vs fall planting and both advised spring was preferred but both were OK.

Thanks for the info, those are good prices - I was expecting the 200 - 300 range.

I would be very skeptical that at those prices you are not getting the native seeds, you might be getting the non-native European variety that they use for pasture in the southern states. Very, very similar and hard to tell apart from the native stuff. Ask some questions about the seed source before you spend your money.

I would be very skeptical that at those prices you are not getting the native seeds, you might be getting the non-native European variety that they use for pasture in the southern states. Very, very similar and hard to tell apart from the native stuff. Ask some questions about the seed source before you spend your money.
It is very concerning that prairie moon sells it for $300/lb and prairie nursery out of Westfield, WI sells it for $450/lb while the two I mentioned in my other post are under $30/lb. Yet they are all selling under the same scientific name of Lupinus Perennis. In my searching I did find several other varieties of lupines with different colors and characteristics and they all had different scientific names.

Deer Resistant...hahaha haha...too funny! More like a brownie covered with ice cream! If that lupine is deer resistant, it would be the first ever.

On second thought I may skip the lupine planting. With my luck the stuff will grow great and somehow the DNR will discover the patch and karner blue butterfiles using it and all of sudden I will have restricted use of my own place.

Yup! ^^^ That would be a fear of mine as well, especially given the way they manage the Refuge now.

Perennial lupine is not wild lupine fyi. Wild lupine is not cheap. I believe my dad has central wisconsin origin seed for sale on his site. Bueller I still need to respond to your pm sorry for the slow response.

Perennial lupine is not wild lupine fyi. Wild lupine is not cheap. I believe my dad has central wisconsin origin seed for sale on his site. Bueller I still need to respond to your pm sorry for the slow response.
I got your PM, thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely look into them.

Please post a link to your father's site, or send it to me in a PM if you prefer.

PrairieFrontier.com

Best bet is to call him. Phone number should be on the website. Ask him the difference between wild and perennial. Then ask price per pound, and maybe ask how much seed you would need for your area. Tell him you know his son Matt from one of the forums.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk