WI State Nursery Shrubs

PackerBacker

5 year old buck +
Looking at putting together my planting plan for next spring. Plan on ordering more spruce from the nursery and possibly some of the different shrubs. Any of you have experience with the bare-root shrubs from the state nursery?

Looking at putting together my planting plan for next spring. Plan on ordering more spruce from the nursery and possibly some of the different shrubs. Any of you have experience with the bare-root shrubs from the state nursery?

I've planted them and was pleased. Their selection isn't always as extensive as I'd like but you can't beat the price.

Where is the nearest nursery now

Last edited by a moderator:
Bigger bareroots have their place especially when planted in heavy sod, but agree that plugs give the best bang for the buck if you can prep the area first or have those sandy areas that don't support much growth to begin with

I've had good luck with trees and shrubs from both the WI and MN state nurseries. You can't beat the price and the selection is pretty decent if you get your order in early.

Where is the nearest nursery now? The republicans shut the Wisconsin Rapids nursery down!

Not going to be closed for a couple more years until inventory is used up and based on who I've talked to - didnt make sense to keep open based on number of trees sold statewide and age of facility compared to others. Either way - dont really care - they ship them right to the DNR office here in Shawano for pick up.

Brandon, a wildlife tech who works out of there, just told me they planted the nursery up with grass. I didn't ask if everything was shut down, but he made it sound that way.
Do u know what they have left? I could use a 1000 spruce/ pine next year.
It's news to me they ship to the county station. I always had to drive to the nursery in Rapids to get them.

Brandon, a wildlife tech who works out of there, just told me they planted the nursery up with grass. I didn't ask if everything was shut down, but he made it sound that way.
Do u know what they have left? I could use a 1000 spruce/ pine next year.
It's news to me they ship to the county station. I always had to drive to the nursery in Rapids to get them.

Last I talked to my buddy - they were looking at doing a prairie plant production for maintaining state properties as they exhausted the inventory. Not sure if they went that way or not though as he said they were looking at a few alternatives for the property.

I know I need to order about 2000 spruce for my plantings next year. If you are interested, could order together to get the discount at 3000. Based on DNR website, looks like that is allowed as long as not used for commercial purposes.

Keep me posted, I'd be interested. I wanna go with some bigger ones.

Had time to review my grant paperwork today. I need to order 3000 spruce to finish the planting that is required. Will order the 2 yr white spruce from the state nursery.

Unless you want thousands try your local county program. I have gotten some excellent stuff through my county and they have a decent selection for what we typically need.

I got some 2/0 WS from the local area conservation club which I suspect likely came from the state nursery based on the price being pretty cheap for a small order. Did well this summer but we did have a good year for growing trees in NE/Central WI. I posted this pic before but a gauge for what the trees were like with a few months growth. In regards to private source vs gooberment, the private nursery I usually order from (really nice transplants bigger trees and oh yeah double the price) likes to brag about their source from a genetics study done years ago by the US Forestry Service so they don't have problems sourcing their seed stock from gooberment efforts....

I really wasn't planning on any ordering any spruce this last spring but a buddy already had his order getting lined up and just tacked on to his.

DSC01853 (Small).JPG