Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On at WhitetailCrabs

Just got the email that my WC trees are set for delivery tomorrow. Looks like my Saturday plans have changed.

Anything I need to do between Thursday and when the trees go in the ground on Saturday?

Do you guys hand dig your holes or auger drill?

I think it depends on your soil. I’ve dug holes for fence with an auger in our heavy clay and it slicks the sides like glass. Tough for a root to get a hold in that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it depends on your soil. I’ve dug holes for fence with an auger in our heavy clay and it slicks the sides like glass. Tough for a root to get a hold in that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This time of year the soil tends to be a little stickier, but mostly pretty mild soils around here.

Waiting for my order. Emailed Terry asking to ship a couple weeks ago but never heard anything. I also ordered around 17 trees and requested all M111, he said no problem. Hopefully get them in soon.

Just got the email that my WC trees are set for delivery tomorrow. Looks like my Saturday plans have changed.

Anything I need to do between Thursday and when the trees go in the ground on Saturday?

Do you guys hand dig your holes or auger drill?

Same here. Got the email yesterday that they shipped with delivery tomorrow. Hopefully, most of the snow we received over the last 24 hrs will be gone.

I have heard a few people say that their whitetail crabs outgrew their bluehill trees. Interested to see how they do on my crappy soil. They're getting planted on the edges of my food plot so ph and nutrient levels are decent.

I just wanted more variety this year and like how Ryan describes each of his trees in the description. Time will tell how they do compared to my whitetail crabs. Definitely will be ordering more from Terry in the future.
Just wondering how your WC trees grew in your crappy soil ?

You guys comparing growth rates from different suppliers is pretty hilarious. Until you compare the same grafted variety on the same rootstock grafted at the same time and grown out using the same fertilizer/soil, the comparisons are worthless.
Your post is pretty hilarious and worthless . I'm not ordering trees to graft, so it doesn't matter what the "same variety on the same rootstock would do ". My comparison is based solely on how the trees that each nursery shipped me grow on my land , as is . I HAVE ordered and planted trees from 2 different suppliers in one year. I was shipped their standard at the time "one size tree" , and planted them within a week of each other , all in the same area. All trees were all caged, mulched and watered the same. I certainly can make a comparison as to which suppliers trees look healthier , grew faster/ better in my soil and fruited first , when planted within a week of each other.

Last edited:
Just wondering how your WC trees grew in your crappy soil ?
They did awesome last year! Put a dewitt weed mat and stone/mulch around them. Only watered one time at the end of june. I was pretty impressed with them.

Here is one of my droptines.
1000003744.jpg

I put a couple of my trees in 6ft tubes to see how they would do. Almost had to much growth. I believe I cut about 6" off the tubes so they are more like 5.5'. But still had to much growth. I cut them back quite a bit a few weeks ago. First tree is a redfield and crossbow in the back.
1000003743.jpg

My trees are arriving tomorrow. Ordered some "grade b" trees this year so we will see how they turn out.

They did awesome last year! Put a dewitt weed mat and stone/mulch around them. Only watered one time at the end of june. I was pretty impressed with them.

Here is one of my droptines.
View attachment 63568

I put a couple of my trees in 6ft tubes to see how they would do. Almost had to much growth. I believe I cut about 6" off the tubes so they are more like 5.5'. But still had to much growth. I cut them back quite a bit a few weeks ago. First tree is a redfield and crossbow in the back.
View attachment 63565
Wow , only one year in the ground ! They look Great !.

Twalter,

How were the bugs treating that crossbow? My crossbow get voided by ants and beetles. Got 2 commercial orchards with-in a mile of my house, and my property and the neighbors used to be an orchard too, so some mature apples in the tumbleweeds. Mine was put in fall of 2022. I stole some scion material from it too. The bugs bothered the grafted scions in pots much less than other trees in the nursery too.

Droptine and crossbow grew great for me last year. He only had droptine on antonovka left over when I ordered too, that srpung right up like it was on B118's. Anything B118 seems to run hard right out of the gate from my limited experience and observations on this site postings. Hard for me to say much about growth though. My trees get watered by me atleast weekly, if not twice a week when it's dry. Also rototilled and ammended by soil well. Dug a 6x6 hole atleast 2 feet deep, and rortilled each sigging pass. Maybe one bale of peat moss every 3-4 tree plantings with homemade compost and 1/ bag of topsoil too. Some spots got chopped up leaves and garden plant remains too. like tomato stalks.

Twalter,

How were the bugs treating that crossbow? My crossbow get voided by ants and beetles. Got 2 commercial orchards with-in a mile of my house, and my property and the neighbors used to be an orchard too, so some mature apples in the tumbleweeds. Mine was put in fall of 2022. I stole some scion material from it too. The bugs bothered the grafted scions in pots much less than other trees in the nursery too.

Droptine and crossbow grew great for me last year. He only had droptine on antonovka left over when I ordered too, that srpung right up like it was on B118's. Anything B118 seems to run hard right out of the gate from my limited experience and observations on this site postings. Hard for me to say much about growth though. My trees get watered by me atleast weekly, if not twice a week when it's dry. Also rototilled and ammended by soil well. Dug a 6x6 hole atleast 2 feet deep, and rortilled each sigging pass. Maybe one bale of peat moss every 3-4 tree plantings with homemade compost and 1/ bag of topsoil too. Some spots got chopped up leaves and garden plant remains too. like tomato stalks.
Thats funny that you asked about bugs with the crossbow. I have 4 other crabs in tubes near by that got hit pretty bad with caterpillars. The redfield had very few but they didnt even touch the crossbow. Not sure why?

I managed to catch them pretty early and spray them but they did do some damage to the leaves.

Here is a pic of a 30-06 that got hit.
1000001066.jpg

I get a little bit of jap beetle trouble when the crop rotations close to me are soybeans that year. But not bad enough to cause any problems.

Now raccoons are a completely different issue, those trouble makers are like mini bears when the trees fruit heavy. Have had them snap a lot of branches, solved some of the problem by heading branches back when trees are young so that they grow thicker.
WC crabs are fast growers and quick to throw fruit..worth it to prune side branches back some.
Very good trees and great customer service.

I get a little bit of jap beetle trouble when the crop rotations close to me are soybeans that year. But not bad enough to cause any problems.

Now raccoons are a completely different issue, those trouble makers are like mini bears when the trees fruit heavy. Have had them snap a lot of branches, solved some of the problem by heading branches back when trees are young so that they grow thicker.
WC crabs are fast growers and quick to throw fruit..worth it to prune side branches back some.
Very good trees and great customer service.
I am thinking you're hitting the nail on the head h20fowler. Folks are very eager to have their trees grow and hesitant they might damage the tree by pruning. I'm whacking mine. Even when I get trees in the mail, they get a haircut when they go in the ground. I got an experiment I will be doing with a couple of galarina on M111. I am going to prune the snot out of one, prune another a bit, and barely if at all prune the thrid one. Calling them my 3 gals experiment. The added bonus to pruning is scions. I bought a sudnance on M7. Nipped the top off by about 8 inches. Now I got 3 sundance trees. One will be it's neigbor on M111. Another M111 will be a gift to a friend with a new home. Got 2 galarina in grow pots from pruning trees I ordered too.

Terry has good trees. I know people who work on power lines, they see alot of things in the woods others don't. That how terry from whitetail crabs found his trees. Im out of room at my house. Wife said no more trees.

Last edited:
My tree arrival got pushed back to tomorrow. How quickly do I have to get them in the ground? 8 of them are planned for my home site and the other 8 are supposed to go to SW WI but I won't be there for at least two weeks, I know about a cool, dry location out of the sun, but what else can I do? Not great timing for me to get the notification email they were on the way..

My tree arrival got pushed back to tomorrow. How quickly do I have to get them in the ground? 8 of them are planned for my home site and the other 8 are supposed to go to SW WI but I won't be there for at least two weeks, I know about a cool, dry location out of the sun, but what else can I do? Not great timing for me to get the notification email they were on the way
Since you posted under a WhiteCrabs Thread , I'll assume that's who's shipping your trees. The "timing" shouldn't be that big of a surprise , It plainly states on their website To assure the highest quality, we ship during the month of April each year (unless otherwise specified). Shipping during spring allows the trees to remain dormant during the shipping process. Sounds like YOU should have specified a ship date if you planned to go to SW WI later in the month, . I say plant the 8 trees at home this weekend, keep the other 8 trees roots wet/moist and wrapped up tight in plastic and put back in the box, and keep in a cool dark place and check on them every other day to make sure they don't dry out. 2 weeks isn't that long, you should be okay.

Thanks @White Oak .. all I'm saying is that two days notice when a snowstorm just came through isn't ideal, I would have been able to change up plans with a little more notice. No big deal, I'm not bashing WC or their business/trees.

FWIW, my local SWCD gives us two weeks notice when their trees are expected to ship so everyone can make plans accordingly.

Thanks @White Oak .. all I'm saying is that two days notice when a snowstorm just came through isn't ideal, I would have been able to change up plans with a little more notice. No big deal, I'm not bashing WC or their business/trees.

FWIW, my local SWCD gives us two weeks notice when their trees are expected to ship so everyone can make plans accordingly.
First you're complaining about only getting 2 days notice. Then theirs a snowstorm that just came through. Then you want to plant 8 trees in SW WI , "but I won't be there for at least two weeks" . So what's the deal ? is the snowstorm so bad that you can't get their for 2 weeks ? (doubtful) or was that the plan all along, to go to SW WI later in the month ?. Sounds like YOU should have specified a ship date instead of assuming you'd get a 2 week notice that would accommodate your plans .

That's the beauty of grafting your own. Pull them from your own nursery any day that's convenient. This year mine all got planted in Feb.
Sounds good, but the trees your grafting from , originally had to come from somewhere.

Got all of my trees planted this weekend. Went to straighten out one of my droptines and must of did it a little to hard....
1000008343.jpg
Snapped right off. First time this has ever happened to me. Thankfully it was a cheaper 2-3ft tree but still.... Hoping I can cut some scion from one of my droptines next year and graft onto the rootstock if it grows???