White Pine Seedlings

chucker66

5 year old buck +
I have a ton of white pine seedlings that are in the ground I have access too. I need to move them and don't have time to re-plant them on my land. Any suggestions as to how I could maybe stick them in the garden over winter and transplant them next spring? They are growing under several huge old white pines and would like to have a few hundred to plant.

Chuck

I would leave them alone until early next spring just after the frost is out. Then pull them one day (keeping the roots moist of course) and plant them the next. I typically just fill up a few 5 gallon buckets with as many pulled seedlings as I can cram in the buckets and call it good. I've done that a lot with spruce trees and have had good luck.

I wouldn't try anything this time of year though. You might be able to make it work in mid/late fall when the weather is cool, but I've never done that. if you stick with the early spring plan you will likely have pretty good luck.

Why do they need to be moved now? Why not just wait until your ready to plant to harvest them? I ripped several hundred spruce trees out from under the power lines this year and planted them on my land. Worked awesome. I pulled and planted 3 different weekends going all the way to Memorial weekend. The earlier planted trees from the first weekend are the best, but most are alive. I am gonna try 25 or so this fall just to see what survival rate on them is like. Probably works great.

http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/will-these-survive.10863/

The deer hammer white pine by me. They need to be in cages or its a waste of time.

I have to move them as we are selling the property they are on. I wish I had done some this spring but got busy with other things. I was just wondering if anyone had done this where you move a bunch of seedlings for a temporary home until you can get them where you want. I might just try to move some to my home vegetable garden and see what happens. Always fun to experiment.

Chuck

Make it part of the purchase agreement that you take some for transplant next spring. Or transplant them this fall. I don’t think transplant in the middle of summer will work good unless you put them somewhere they can be watered a lot. Might work in the garden with lots of water, but I would rather transplant them once instead of twice. Just talk with the buyers. They might not care and you could even do it mid September or later.