White Cedar

St. Croix

A good 3 year old buck
Anyone plant white cedar? I am in zone 4 and have a variety of topography available to plant. Anything from bluff tops to marshy bottoms. Just looking for something different I guess- add a bit of diversity to the farm. I realize I will have to cage them, but wondering about expected growth rates and how seasonally wet the soil can be before it impacts the growth rate.

they'll get pretty tall .. and deer like them ...
techy vitae fenced 2017.jpg

line of arbovitae.JPG

While different conifers, each of these is considered a "white" cedar

I grew up hunting a white cedar swamp.... I had no idea how good I had it. Great food, great cover, excellent for treestands, etc. etc.

I've tried twice to establish them on my farm with no success. The deer always get them. If I planted again, my protection would be serious.

-John

I planted a dozen of them this past spring. We had a lot of rain this year and they are nearly knee high now. I planted them very close to the cabin so we'll see how they fair over winter.

Sounds good. I am picking them up this Friday at paint creek nursery near cadot. With rain forcasted this wkd I plan on getting them in the ground early Sat. 5' trees and will be sure to cage them immediately!