All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where did my apples go

yoteslayer

A good 3 year old buck
i have a mature apple tree that had dozens of Apple's on it. I put stove pipe around the trunk to keep raccoons off of it.

I went and checked it tonight and all the apples are gone. What are them?!?!?! Squirrels???

Are you on a spray schedule for insects based on degree day units or 1 inch of rain or more? How tall are your trees and could deer reach. ? Is the stove pipe 24 inches off the ground so that a raccoon can not stretch out and pull itself up. Are there trees close enough for a coon to climb and cross over? Lets work to figure this out.

Yes, I spray every other weekend imidan/captan unless we get a lot of rain. The deer have the leaves eaten as high as they can reach. This mature tree is 14' tall . I tried to trim the nearby trees so nothing could climb onto it from another tree.

The stove pipe is 24" long and 24" off the ground.

2 weeks ago there were dozens of apples 7'-14' , now I cannot find an apple

Squirrels and/or crows most likely

Yes, I spray every other weekend imidan/captan unless we get a lot of rain. The deer have the leaves eaten as high as they can reach. This mature tree is 14' tall . I tried to trim the nearby trees so nothing could climb onto it from another tree.

The stove pipe is 24" long and 24" off the ground.

2 weeks ago there were dozens of apples 7'-14' , now I cannot find an apple

Sounds like you are doing all the right things. I have never seen this so early in the season where a whole tree is robbed by Squirrels and crows. I lost 50% of my Honeycrisp last year due to the extreme drought conditions here in Vermont. The apples were still on the trees with lots of bird pecks. I don't think a crow will remove green apples from a tree. Don't really know what to tell you.

I think it had to be squirrels because the nearby limbs from other nearby trees would not support a raccoon's weight. The apples were about double the size of a golfball the last I saw them.

Squirrels. I watch them during hunting season take apple after Apple. They drop them out of tree then get them on ground and go to their hideout lol