When You're Late Pruning

Lot2Learn

5 year old buck +
I'm slated to prune in mid-March, but a friend visited the hunting land this weekend and sent a few pictures showing that some of the pear and crabapple trees have started leafing out. It'll obviously be 'worse' when I get there in about 10 days.

Question: Is there any risk of giving these leafed-out trees my normal annual pruning? At a minimum, I'd really like to remove some of the lower scaffolds...

Thanks in advance, Lot2Learn

Crabapple%20leafing%20out_opt%201_zps25bxaszr.jpg

I would say no problem unless it is perfect fireblight conditions. Otherwise the problem with pruning after green up is the tree has used a good deal of energy to push those buds that could have been better used on the growth you wanted to keep. Late summer pruning actually works to slow the growth of a tree significantly the next year.

Nice looking tree!

Thanks TC.

I'll steer clear of pruning during perfect fireblight conditions.

It's forecast to get down to 21 degrees between now and my pruning trip; sure glad that my livelihood isn't based on agreeable weather!

I'll add to this discussion. If I transplant a tree from a nursery to the field in 2 weeks that is a straight whip, do I just let it grow and top it by 4 inches or so?

I'll add to this discussion. If I transplant a tree from a nursery to the field in 2 weeks that is a straight whip, do I just let it grow and top it by 4 inches or so?
I guess either way would be fine as far as I know. Depends on the height of the whip. If it is tall enough to head where you want the first set of scaffolds or has weaker caliper I tend to head them back. If they have good caliper and arent real tall then I tend to let them be. I have read that all whips should be headed back to help slow the trees vertical growth a bit and get it into more of state of throwing feathers, but that likely is more dependent on variety.

These are all full size or close to it rootstocks, all are 25-36 inches tall. I dont side branches that tall so i guess dont then lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Lot2, come on up when you are done. I've got quite a bit more to do and am layed up with my crappy back again. So sick of this!

Hey Lot2, come on up when you are done. I've got quite a bit more to do and am layed up with my crappy back again. So sick of this!
I'd be terrified that a hack like me would ruin your perfect trees!

I'd be terrified that a hack like me would ruin your perfect trees!

Hahaha! No such thing as perfect trees, but thanks! You're doing pretty good, don't insult yourself.

Did you prune?

Scheduled to prune March 17 and 18.

I think it's fun with ~50 relatively small trees. I'll bet pruning on the scale of your orchards seems a lot less fun...

Scheduled to prune March 17 and 18.

I think it's fun with ~50 relatively small trees. I'll bet pruning on the scale of your orchards seems a lot less fun...

LOL, I love it. I would rather prune my trees than just about anything else, I just wish my back was not as broke up as it is! Had another Dr. appointment this AM. My Dr. is scheduling a consultation with a surgeon... Oh hurray!