All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's your weapon of choice?

Yes yankee hill machine QD suppressor. Shoot both subs an supers. My hunting loads are hot (above book Max handloads). Sounds like a big poof of air. No crack to it. Subs are very quiet but one thing I was not aware of is the first round pop. Basically your first shot through a suppressor is always louder than follow up shots because no gases in the can after first shot assist in suppression. Not a huge deal. Just something I wasn't aware of. It sure is much more relaxing to shoot without hearing protection. Especially with the kids and friends:)

I know nothing about suppressors. But that's cool. There has to be a can of something that will dispel the gases for the first shot. I've been shooting a 7MM rem mag with a muzzle break so it doesn't beat me up. But suppression sounds interesting. My gun with the muzzle break will harm your hearing if you don't wear protection.

I know nothing about suppressors. But that's cool. There has to be a can of something that will dispel the gases for the first shot. I've been shooting a 7MM rem mag with a muzzle break so it doesn't beat me up. But suppression sounds interesting. My gun with the muzzle break will harm your hearing if you don't wear protection.
I have heard of guys spraying airsal oil like Rem oil in the suppressor before their first shot. I'm pretty new to them myself. They are pricey but make shooting more enjoyable. I hope to purchase a .22LR suppressor next. They are much more reasonable. Suppressed .22 pistols is beyond fun with friends! Muzzle breaks sure can make a big difference recoil the magnum recoil!

Well done November!

One of my several Xbows or custom .257mag for rifle. wore my .270 out after 1800 rounds.

Nice setup! Shooting with the kids and family is the main reason I've been thinking of doing it.
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Once you go suppressed you'll never want to shoot without one on a gun. Still a bit of noise but no ear crushing boom.

Once you go suppressed you'll never want to shoot without one on a gun. Still a bit of noise but no ear crushing boom.
I very much want to do this! I have enough machining experience to build my own, but haven't done the paperwork to make it legal.

I used to be an avid bow hunter, but not so much anymore.

I prefer a 7.08 or 280 Remington.

I got a new favorite thus far.....my lever 30-30 has done a great job for me this year (first year of being legal here). It's light enough for my daughter to use and doesn't kick the crap out of me either so I can focus on making a better shot. It's cheaper to shoot than my 12 gauge and just handles real nice in the stand.

I guess we're spoiled here in Missouri. We've always been able to use our rifles.

I guess we're spoiled here in Missouri. We've always been able to use our rifles.
IMHO, one of the reasons Ohio produces great bucks is because rifles are not allowed.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That's probably very true, and at the least it has to be a contributing factor in more open areas. Truth be told I'll bet a large majority of deer taken in Missouri are harvested at shotgun ranges though.

That's probably very true, and at the least it has to be a contributing factor in more open areas. Truth be told I'll bet a large majority of deer taken in Missouri are harvested at shotgun ranges though.
No doubt.
Another contributing factor in Ohio is there is no spotlighting allowed.

Bow: Elite Energy 32, 29" draw @ 73lbs, QAD HDX rest, CBE Tek hybrik sight, doinker stab, tightspot quiver, easton axis 340 arrows with 75 grain brass inserts to up FOC to 15% and weight is around 465grains tipped with a 100 grain ramcat. Love this set up.

Rife: Winchester Model 70 in 7mm remmington magnum with a fancy nikon scope on it.

Fun fact. Have had the rifle 8 years and the bow 2 years. Have killed 13 deer with that bow in Wisconsin. None with the rifle. 2 deer during rifle season with the bow. Using a rifle feels like cheating.

1st choice....recurve crossbow now that i see enough deer to make it interesting. Limit to 40 yd max...all mine have been under 30. 60+ yds is nuts for 99% of the bows out there imo.

2nd choice...ruger 77 in 44 mag. My favorite woods gun

3rd choice...CVA wolf .50 cal mzzldr. Outshoots my TC encore for about 1/5 the price and has a better trigger. I feel dumb on buying the TC

Use to bow hunt but haven't the last couple of years. Rifle I hunt with is a Remington custom built 280 ackley improved, Jewel trigger, and McMillan stock. I use 140 grn nosler BT.

Thought it was a good thread revival time. We have some new guys here and for some of us our answers may have changed.

I have a new bow this year - Matthews Halon 32-6, set at 60 lbs with a 31 inch draw length. I’m shooting 447 grain arrows at 288 fps. Still hoping to harvest a deer with it this year. It’s been a challenging season so far. Last year it seemed everything went perfect. This year nothing comes together as planned or expected. I guess that’s why I love it.

Guns are the same this year - I took the Ruger Hawkeye 338 Federal opening day and didn’t see a thing. For some reason I grabbed my old Remington 700 again the next day (7mm Rem Mag) and harvested a young buck. It’s a funny thing, I have several rifles and I shoot them all pretty well. There’s just something about that Remington that makes it my favorite.

My son asked - if you could only choose one rifle what would it be? I said “that’d be a crying shame wouldn’t it? I guess I’d choose the 7mm followed closely by my 375 H&H - but the 6.5x55 is probably close to the perfect deer caliber. And I love that Ruger number 1 in 45/70, so no, I can’t choose just one.”

I also have a Couple handguns that we can use in the alternative portions session this year again. I’ve hunted many times with my Smith & Wesson 629 44 magnum but have yet to fire a shot at a deer.

What about you guys?

I still shoot my Matthews Monster for bow. I have a couple crossbows that I take in certain blinds because they shot out of the windows better.
I love my CVA Accura muzzleloader with Bergara barrel. This is also my favorite hunting season in WI. Rifles.....I usually pick a different one every year to take. My favorite rifle is a Winchester stainless wood model 70 in a .270 short mag. I have not taken it out yet but it is the gun I bought on the fundraiser for Dbltree(Paul). I don't remember who I bought it from but if you are on this site thank you for donating it!!!

I shoot a Mathews Z7, carbon express, rage. Over the winter I am going to have my son's Chill setup for me and start shooting that. See how it goes. I find it has a smoother draw cycle I think will help in general in hunting situation.

Shot a few deer with my Rem 742 06 when I was young. When we moved our rifle operation to the Barrons in Bayfield County in the mid 80's I opted for Weatherby MarkV in .270mag. I hunted varmints a lot in those days and thought I could use a little more gun for those distances on larger deer. Took awhile to get a recipe and pill that didn't destroy the deer so bad but I found one. I also have a 300 mag in the same gun. It's a lot of cartridge for deer and I have not personally taken any with it, my brother has the same 300 and loves it. It has a fair amount of recoil.
I acquired a stainless Ruger in 06 last year and now carry that. Topped with a mid range Luepold in 3x9. It shoots very well and these days I find it a nice lightweight option over those heavy magnums. I don't hunt in the Barrons any longer and most of shots will be inside a 100 or so.

Hasn't changed much since 1996.
55 pound Allegheny Mountain Recurve. See the doe in the backround?
5d10660c35acfca1d020e6f336295aab.jpg