All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's your weapon of choice?

Someday isle

5 year old buck +
Bow hunting is definitely my favorite -
Browning Oasis - it's not new technology by today's standards
64 lbs
31 1/2" draw length with an added 1/2 inch D-loop to get me to 32" draw length
340 Carbon arrows and this year using Grim Reaper broadheads (used to use Wasp and Slick Tricks)

Rifle - I have different options but almost always just seem to grab my old Remington 700 BDL 7mm magnum. It's probably 30 years old now.

This year I plan to use a Ruger Number 1 in 45/70.

Alternative methods season I'll either use a Smith and Wesson 44 magnum or just stick with my bow. I've hunted with a handgun on numerous occasions but have never had a shot opportunity when carrying it. That would be fun.

Last edited:
1917 Enfield which is a .30-06

I shot a Martin Scepter for many years. I love it. One day I stopped by a pro-shop to pick up some fletching material, I had time to kill, so I shot a new (at the time) Mathews Switchback. I walked out with the bow and a significantly lighter wallet. I haven't shot another bow since.

Thanks,

Jack

I still shoot the same bow I started with.....I'm not one for change. I still use my old mossy 500 12 gauge as well. I have used my x-bow a few times over my compound just due to a lack of practice with the compound, but I prefer the compound. I might use my 30-30 this year since it's legal now, just because I can......we will see.

Rifle.

Go-to Gun is a Weatherby Vanguard 300Wby. Also hunt with a Marlin 336 30-30. I have an CVA .50 cal,just never get a chance to get in the woods for muzzleloader.

Browning 30/o6 but I still take my grandfathers Remington 12 ga out a couple times a year. I have had it since I was 16, and I will have to hunt a lot of years to kill more deer with any other gun than I have with that gun.

my go to gun for most deer hunting is a custom build Rem Model 7 I have in 7mm08, been all over the USA and into AK over the yrs
for more wide open places I .30 Hart built on a Rem 700 action
as for archery< Fav bow is what ever one I am currently on,
however over the yrs, my Oneida eagle bow was the one I used and held onto the longest and had the most kills with!

I think is is a never ending topic however, as I tend to view weapons as a more PER task deal, we could get into handguns here and then shotguns and then Sub guns and so on,
every one is like a tool for the task at hand , NO one really does it all! LOL

NO one really does it all! LOL

Sounds like duck boats. No one will cover it all.

This thread has me thinking. During rifle season I always grab my browning 7mm Rem Mag. This year I might grab my old Remington pump 30-06. My parents gave it to me for my birthday in 1982 and it did it's job in PA for years. And for a pump gun, it's a tack driver with factory ammo.

Sounds like duck boats. No one will cover it all.

This thread has me thinking. During rifle season I always grab my browning 7mm Rem Mag. This year I might grab my old Remington pump 30-06. My parents gave it to me for my birthday in 1982 and it did it's job in PA for years. And for a pump gun, it's a tack driver with factory ammo.

That was my choice when I lived in PA. I was financially challenged in those days and bought mine used. I put some inexpensive optics on it, but it worked well for me. Since I've been in VA, I've almost exclusively hunted counties that were restricted to shotguns with slugs. The year, the county in which my farm is located just lifted its ban on rifles for deer, so I broke it out and sighted it in this year. I really need to upgrade the optics, but I won't get a chance this year.

I too am impressed with the accuracy for a pump. What load are you using in yours?

Thanks,

Jack

I always shot Remington 150 grain pointed soft points off the shelf. And they were great rounds.

And it still has a bushnell 3x9 on it. Always worked for me. :).

I always shot Remington 150 grain pointed soft points off the shelf. And they were great rounds.
And it still has a bushnell 3x9 on it. Always worked for me. :).

How funny. I shot both 150s and 180s and have the same scope on it as you. I found the 150s shot a bit better. When I sighted it in this year, I shot both the Rem softpoint 150s, 180s, and tried some of the Winchester power max 150s. The Winchester ended up being the most accurate. Probably a better BC given the tip.

Thanks,

Jack

Well if we're going to talk loads that's a whole other topic. I hand load a lot and that's it's own hobby. I load for .223, .243, 6.5x55 (an awesome deer caliber), 7mm Rem Mag, .308, .338 Federal (I want to love it, but...its finicky), .375 H&H, 45/70 and .458 Win Mag (I know, I don't need it). Truth be told I've killed deer with most of them and they're all just as effective as the next (excluding the .223 in my opinion - but I know people swear by it too with modern bullet designs)Deer aren't hard to kill. But I do have my pet guns and loads.

We could talk forever about bullet placement and loads but some guns and bows we just seem to fall in love with. At least I do. I know they're just tools, but sometimes they're also more than that. I guess for me it's my 7 Rem Mag and my Ruger Red Label shotgun. They're just comfortable to hold and carry. Or maybe it's just comforting.

We just got rifles legalized this year, so I borrowed a Rem 700 in .308 just in case I get the itch to kill one off the porch. I pretty much bow hunt all the time, with the exception of the first weekend of firearms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For east central mo whitetails 308. Have several but hunting with a new ruger with 18" barrel this yr. 308 Puts allot of energy into the animal with the right bullet. IMG_1317.JPG

For east central mo whitetails 308. Have several but hunting with a new ruger with 18" barrel this yr. 308 Puts allot of energy into the animal with the right bullet. View attachment 11307
Supressed? Subsonic? How does that .308 perform and sound on shot? I shoot a .308 and have thought seriously about going that route with it.

Supressed? Subsonic? How does that .308 perform and sound on shot? I shoot a .308 and have thought seriously about going that route with it.
Yes yankee hill machine QD suppressor. Shoot both subs an supers. My hunting loads are hot (above book Max handloads). Sounds like a big poof of air. No crack to it. Subs are very quiet but one thing I was not aware of is the first round pop. Basically your first shot through a suppressor is always louder than follow up shots because no gases in the can after first shot assist in suppression. Not a huge deal. Just something I wasn't aware of. It sure is much more relaxing to shoot without hearing protection. Especially with the kids and friends:)

Yes yankee hill machine QD suppressor. Shoot both subs an supers. My hunting loads are hot (above book Max handloads). Sounds like a big poof of air. No crack to it. Subs are very quiet but one thing I was not aware of is the first round pop. Basically your first shot through a suppressor is always louder than follow up shots because no gases in the can after first shot assist in suppression. Not a huge deal. Just something I wasn't aware of. It sure is much more relaxing to shoot without hearing protection. Especially with the kids and friends:)

Nice setup! Shooting with the kids and family is the main reason I've been thinking of doing it.
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Browning A-bolt .300 WSM. I simply have confidence in this gun.

CVA Kodiak Magnum .50 cal muzzleloader is my favorite to shoot, but I don't have a scope on it to comply with our muzzy-season laws so it doesn't get used during regular firearms season much.

Got a Hoyt that has stayed in the case for 2 years now. My Remington 870 is probably my most used gun as I use it for a small game shotgun and a slug gun when rifles are not allowed.

Bow - Bowtech 340.

The gun thing is too easy, gave it up >25 years ago. Much prefer the getting up close and personal. :-)