What's this

bueller

Grows low to the ground in my plots. Originates from one root but covers fairly large area. Seems to be gly resistant.
Top down
IMG_20180729_113001.jpg

Bottom upIMG_20180729_113009.jpg

Catchweed Bedstraw (Galium aparine) or one of the similar cleavers.

Bueller - I just nuked a patch of that same stuff in a flower bed at home. Gly fried it. I added Dawn to the sprayer, too.

It showing it's face in a thin stand of RR beans. I've sprayed twice and the field was pretty clean as of a couple weeks ago. This crap is now covering about 1/3 of the plot.

I sprayed a patch with gly to see it's effectiveness. If it dies I'm going to spray the entire plot in a week or two.

That is a tougher one to control especially if it goes to seed. Seems like the seed lasts a long time in the ground.

This ^^^!!! Not sure I would wait 2 weeks if I could help it. As large as those plants are now they might be hard to kill, 2 weeks more growth and that just adds to the problem.

Three weeks ago the field was pretty darn clean. This stuff sure came on in a hurry. Earliest I can spray is possibly next weekend.

Three weeks ago the field was pretty darn clean. This stuff sure came on in a hurry. Earliest I can spray is possibly next weekend.
Know where the phrase "Grows like a weed!"originated? That damn weed!! Or maybe pigweed, or prostrate spurge, or maybe .........

Know where the phrase "Grows like a weed!"originated? That damn weed!! Or maybe pigweed, or prostrate spurge, or maybe .........

Like Creeping Smartweed.

I sprayed something that looks just like that in a flower bed. 2 days in and it's curling from gly. Time will tell.
At home with a pump sprayer I mix it HOT! Really Hot! Couldn't do it like that in a bean field.

I think it may be carpetweed.

I get that in mu garden at times. It's real easy to pull.

Carpetweed usually grows in soil that is high in phosphorous, potassium, magnesium, iron, and sulfate. Any chance you've been over-fertilizing?

Over fertilizing, unlikely. Everything I've been reading says that it likes dry sandy disturbed soils. That makes my plots a prime location. I've seen it for years in the plots but this year I had a lot more open soil in July and the carpetweed really took advantage of that.

Carpetweed and Bedstraw look at lot alike. One way to tell the difference is that bedstraw will have foliage that sort of clings, while carpetwed is more smooth.

Both are hard to kill.

Carpetweed and Bedstraw look at lot alike. One way to tell the difference is that bedstraw will have foliage that sort of clings, while carpetwed is more smooth.

Both are hard to kill.
Do you think spraying once or ripping it up with a spike harrow will get a better kill?

Do you think spraying once or ripping it up with a spike harrow will get a better kill?

It's a summer annual, so the further you go into the fall and keep it from seeding the better. It has to come back from seed. If you plant late and get a thick stand of your food plot species, it will help keep the weed seed already in the soil from germinating when warm weather rolls around again.

Ripping it up might work, but it might also stir up the weed seed already in the ground. I would try a strong dose of herbicide and then do throw and mow.

That weed looks more like carpet weed to me. Gly should take it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A week later, the spot spraying of gly on the right speaks for itself.
IMG_20180804_104525.jpg

Get something growing man! Lol. That's why your carpetweed came in, mother nature doesn't like bare soil.

Could have been worse. I had the same problem two years ago except with crabgrass.