What's this broadleaf in my Switch?

SWIFFY

5 year old buck +
IMG_3866.JPG IMG_3867.JPG

Well this is what my Switch planting from last winter is full of... is this Wild Parsnip? Something I should tackle next spring, or still do something yet this fall?

Thanks!

Wild parsnip. Stay the hell away from it. Hopefully you don't find out the hard way.

Don't mow or weed wack. Go the Chemical rout. And whatever you do don't let it go to seed.

24d will only wilt it so your going to have to find another option.

Wild parsnip.

24d will only wilt it so your going to have to find another option.

Really? Its all over my farm. I was hoping I was wrong and it was something else... What can i use then that wont hurt my switch?

A guy at the local co-op told me what he had good success with but I cant for the life of me remember what it was. I will be buying some of it next spring. We unfortunately have quite a bit of it in our valley property which is planted in nwsg and wildflowers making herbicide use only applicable via spot sprayer.

I have a ton of that stuff at my place in SE MN, but it usually dries out and goes dormant by late summer. I doubt the plants in your picture will get big enough to drop seed this year. It's pretty hard to control if it is growing around plants that you want to keep. I've tried the standard round up and 24d and they both set them back and cause them to wilt but they spring back to life later.

I know the county highway department sprays something in the ditches that takes it out, so you could call your highway department and see what they use. I'm guessing it's some nasty stuff though and generally I'm not too keen on using things like that any more than necessary. Good luck

My plan next year is to hit the switch early and hard with brush killer such as crossbow, maybe spiked with something hotter. That crap has spread everywhere around here. I pretty much regret killing pasture and planting switch and trees because of the sh;t that grows up. Parsnip, poison hemlock, canadien thistle, pokeweeds, locusts, you name it, if it's bad and aggressive, it'll take over our open spaces. Good luck and let me know what works. Bushhogging helps me feel slightly better. Still a lot of seed gets released.

My plan next year is to hit the switch early and hard with brush killer such as crossbow, maybe spiked with something hotter. That crap has spread everywhere around here. I pretty much regret killing pasture and planting switch and trees because of the sh;t that grows up. Parsnip, poison hemlock, canadien thistle, pokeweeds, locusts, you name it, if it's bad and aggressive, it'll take over our open spaces. Good luck and let me know what works. Bushhogging helps me feel slightly better. Still a lot of seed gets released.

This is the exact same scenario we are dealing with but hey my family that whored the land out to the government is smiling. They never go down there anyway.

Thanks guys, ill probably hit it with 24D this next week just for the hell of it and then stay on it next spring.

Appreciate the comments and tips!

Those switch gurus here...will the switch in this instance be able to battle/out compete the parsnip long term?

You can use a product called Garlon 4. The generic form is called Relagate/ Triclopyr 4 ester. It will take care of pretty much any broadleaf that you would have, even small trees. It is a hot product so you need to be careful where you spray it, because it will do a very good job of killing the boardleaves it comes in contact with.

Last edited:
Controlled burns are a great tool. The one thing to remember about them is spring burns promote grass growth and fall burns favor forbs. Do yourself a favor and burn it off in the spring and then jump all over the parsnip after it emerges shortly after the fire.