What's for dinner?

Made a porcini pizza, but my phone died before i could get a good photo. Running low on porcini now, and they won't be up again til September.
20190504_175151.jpg

Kids all had plans today watching the hockey game with friends so I took a venison backstrap from a young deer, trimmed it up nice, cut it into four inch sections, butterflied it, flipped into into a filet mignon shape, marinated for six hours in KC masterpiece steakhouse, patted it dry and seasoned with an all purpose garlic salt4533DBA4-EBA5-4526-B149-A6BB8A01D54D.jpegDB438029-1F42-4464-83EE-06BAA930271F.jpegD2BF7396-1874-4740-9A9E-4547E9F5CC2F.jpeg and a little kosher salt and coarse pepper. Seared for 3 1/2 minutes per side in a 500 degree Weber kettle to an internal temp of 140 degrees. So tender and juicy. Add a salad, some fries and a glass of wine and it’s a complete meal.

20190526_233336.jpg

My heart and soul went into this one. My camera is bad, and it was dark, but the results were delicious. The deer steak is from the front leg of a red deer my friend and I hunted last year, seasoned with salt and pepper, and with a dollop of herb butter made from fresh ramps. The lentils are made with fresh ramps and last fall's Boletus luridiformis, a mushroom i don't often find but I absolutely love. The carrots are just marinated and grilled. The beer is an English style pub ale I brewed myself a couple months ago. Not sure when I will be able to spend that much time on a meal again, but man it makes me remember why i spend so much time in the woods.

Awesome food guys. Keep it up.

I’m braising some whole venison shanks in homemade Adobada sauce for dinner tonight.
Just 5 or 6 more hours to go....

657fb6805f1d687288b99529b55fde41.jpg

0327dfcd64d65401e1cebb966fa7395b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shanks are one of my favorite parts of the deer. What's in your sauce?

Shanks? Tell me more, I have no idea what that is. My guess is part of the lower leg?

Shanks are one of my favorite parts of the deer. What's in your sauce?

I copied the recipe on Meat Eater’s YouTube channel. Dried peppers, onion, garlic, coriander, oregano, cinnamon, cloves, honey, vinegar blended until smooth and liquid. Sear a good crusty layer on the shanks, drop them in a Dutch oven, pour the sauce over, lid on, and in the oven for a few hours.

I pulled it and served it on jasmine rice, but it REALLY needed to be street tacos instead. It would have been absolutely divine on a corn tortilla with onion, cilantro, and a fresh pico....

Shanks? Tell me more, I have no idea what that is. My guess is part of the lower leg?

Yep, lower leg bone in. Instead of separating a bunch of muscles and reliving all the connective tissue / silver skin for 1/2lb of ground meat. Just braise it in the oven for 4 hours and pull it like BBQ.

I copied the recipe on Meat Eater’s YouTube channel. Dried peppers, onion, garlic, coriander, oregano, cinnamon, cloves, honey, vinegar blended until smooth and liquid. Sear a good crusty layer on the shanks, drop them in a Dutch oven, pour the sauce over, lid on, and in the oven for a few hours.

I pulled it and served it on jasmine rice, but it REALLY needed to be street tacos instead. It would have been absolutely divine on a corn tortilla with onion, cilantro, and a fresh pico....

Yep, lower leg bone in. Instead of separating a bunch of muscles and reliving all the connective tissue / silver skin for 1/2lb of ground meat. Just braise it in the oven for 4 hours and pull it like BBQ.

Hmmm, I never bother with the lower leg because return is so bad. This looks good!

Hmmm, I never bother with the lower leg because return is so bad. This looks good!

Like Ikeman said, use the whole lower leg instead of removing the meat. I cut mine with a reciprocating saw, but my friends here cut them at the joints. I'm lucky that at my uncle's place in Ohio I'm the only one who likes shanks, so i usually end up with a bunch.

No pictures, but was out with my father in law on Erie on Saturday. I've got some sexy looking Walleye filets waiting on me sometime this week.

Took out the last of the Nipigon River salmon from the freezer this morning. Anyone have a favorite salmon/trout recipe I might try?

Took out the last of the Nipigon River salmon from the freezer this morning. Anyone have a favorite salmon/trout recipe I might try?

Gravlaks.

Grilled hamburgers, bacon, fillets, and deer sausage last night. Great stuff!
9ec86a358f7aee75159daa8b873730f7.jpg
051af30b18c5043e03fd6214b453a745.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I like to halve the fillets and marinate in cheap Italian dressing in gallon freezer bag for a couple days in fridge, then throw on the grill on foil sprayed with olive oil flip once squeeze with fresh lemon and its on.

Love the old truck Catscratch, what year is it?
One of these days I'm going to get a 48-52 GMC for a Sunday driver just for fun, I'm thinking dark green with black fenders. I've just got this picture in my mind of a nice buck laying in the back on a wood bed that I'm going to have to make happen.

Like trampledbyturtles down to the last of the backstrap here....but it sure is tasty!
otbkZKD.jpg

And kind of new to us here but probably old news to the WI crowd, grillin cheese. Just slice and pan fry tastes like the extra cheese on pizza foil, kind of like a grilled cheese sandwich without the bread. I like mine with marinara wife likes hers with ranch. We get the cheese at a little local boutique cheese maker that also makes some great natural cheese curds.
ShUXxo4.jpg

Love the old truck Catscratch, what year is it?
One of these days I'm going to get a 48-52 GMC for a Sunday driver just for fun, I'm thinking dark green with black fenders. I've just got this picture in my mind of a nice buck laying in the back on a wood bed that I'm going to have to make happen.
It's a 55 Ford. Was my daily driver for quite a while but now it mostly sits in the driveway. :(