What would you do???

UP Powers

5 year old buck +
I am driving down a country road this weekend on my way to my inlaws. I spot some movement in the road, sure enough Ruffed Grouse. I slow my truck down to make sure I don't hit him and he passes looking probably for a mate. I proceed to start driving again and I notice another car coming. I look in the rear view mirror and this person swerves in the opposite lane towards the partridge. It appeared to me that he missed the bird. I spun my truck around to make sure he missed it and the car kept going.

I told myself I wasn't going to offer my opinion. But, I can't hold back anymore. I was sick to my stomach and mad as hell. I really think if they would have stepped out to pick up the bird I would have called the cops and confronted them. I am still kinda upset over the whole deal. Call me a big baby or whatever I will take it on the chin. Yes it's a bird and in a couple of months, I will shoot him dead flying or walking with my shotgun in season. But, to have some clown like that hit them on a county road really threw a wrench in my gear box. I almost took chase to the car, but I left it alone as I was already running late.

Plus, I was dead whipped tired from cutting down about 100 honeysuckle and doing basal bark treatments. I have waged a war and I will win.

Plus, I was dead whipped tired from cutting down about 100 honeysuckle and doing basal bark treatments. I have waged a war and I will win.

Jim Ward claims honeysuckle provide 40% of deer browse in some areas.

Alone I would have followed the car and showed how men get grumpy as they get older. Family in vehicle momma would have squashed my u turn.

It's one thing if it is an accident but when some a-hole does it on purpose that pisses me off as well doesn't matter the critter. Killing for the sake of killing is just plain stupid!

Besides its not like it was a cat!

I would have just thrown my beer can out the window at the bird and kept driving......

I would have just thrown my beer can out the window at the bird and kept driving......
I am just shaking my head and laughing......only Mo.

Bush honeysuckle or japanese (vine) honeysuckle?

He has a 2 hour video up from a property visit up on the dark side

Don't remember which if he even said

Jim - likes vine honeysuckle. I spoke to him specifically about it once during a land tour - same place in the video (just a stones throw from the IL state line here in IN). Here in IN it stays green fairly late in the year and the deer do browse it - it can get invasive however.

Jap bush honeysuckle is the scum of the shrub world in my opinion - that stuff is worse that worthless! I actually hunt that crap with pruners and a bottle of tordon!!!

Vine type is the cat's meow in my area for winter food. It stays green all winter and can only thrive in sunny spots that aren't mowed - like fence rows. It can't survive in much shade, and mowing hurts it badly, so it never really gets out of hand here. It's a good free food plot.

Jim has three towers 117 feet high he watches derer behavior from

YouTube vid was a good listen on a long drive

In my area, snow means the deer will be in the vine honeysuckle. They feed on it big time.

I agree with J on the bush type. It is all around my house and the greater Cincinnati area. Luckily it is not on my hunting land.

When I was a teen, I swerved to hit a cat. Afterward I kind of felt bad about it. Mainly because my girlfriend was pissed about it and decided to withhold things to show her anger towards me. I should say former girlfriend.

Last edited:
Vine type is the cat's meow in my area for winter food. It stays green all winter and can only thrive in sunny spots that aren't mowed - like fence rows. It can't survive in much shade, and mowing hurts it badly, so it never really gets out of hand here. It's a good free food plot.
Works well for screens as well - Andy's place (the place in the video) they promote it at the edge of his plots to screen the plot from the woods so the deer have to get closer or in the plot to see. This also helps facilitate "sneak trails" around the wooded edge of plots where the bucks move to check the plots but not enter them.

if Jim had promoted JBH while I was at Andy's - I would have knocked him down and kick the crap out of him!

Works well for screens as well - Andy's place (the place in the video) they promote it at the edge of his plots to screen the plot from the woods so the deer have to get closer or in the plot to see. This also helps facilitate "sneak trails" around the wooded edge of plots where the bucks move to check the plots but not enter them.

if Jim had promoted JBH while I was at Andy's - I would have knocked him down and kick the crap out of him!

LOL, and rightfully so. Take a look at the understory of the woods around Lexington, KY if you are ever down that way. When the old trees eventually die in those forests, they will have nothing but JBH left. It has completely taken over, and it thrives in dense shade. A total monoculture.

The further south you go from there it gets less and less. I've never seen a single bush on my farm, but did notice a couple of bushes at my home this week. They will die soon.

LOL, and rightfully so. Take a look at the understory of the woods around Lexington, KY if you are ever down that way. When the old trees eventually die in those forests, they will have nothing but JBH left. It has completely taken over, and it thrives in dense shade. A total monoculture.

The further south you go from there it gets less and less. I've never seen a single bush on my farm, but did notice a couple of bushes at my home this week. They will die soon.

I have a neighbor that has an area that is just over-run with the stuff. They live in Indy and just don't care. If I ever get a chance to buy the place the first thing I have to do is cut and bulldoze the entire area to even have a chance at killing all of it off. It just irritates me to no end.

Did I read your post right - you need some at your place? I can drive by and toss out a few pounds of those little red berries for you sometime! Don't worry I'll scatter them real good to make sure we get some good coverage!!!!!:D

Yep - Cincy area has a lot of it. I used to work down that way.

I have a neighbor that has an area that is just over-run with the stuff. They live in Indy and just don't care. If I ever get a chance to buy the place the first thing I have to do is cut and bulldoze the entire area to even have a chance at killing all of it off. It just irritates me to no end.

Did I read your post right - you need some at your place? I can drive by and toss out a few pounds of those little red berries for you sometime! Don't worry I'll scatter them real good to make sure we get some good coverage!!!!!:D

Yep - Cincy area has a lot of it. I used to work down that way.

That's kind of you J-bird, but I wouldn't want you to have to drive that far.:D

A friend of mine east of Lexington says the turkeys eat those red berries like candy, so they come out with fertilizer - kind of like coated food plot seed!

That's kind of you J-bird, but I wouldn't want you to have to drive that far.:D

A friend of mine east of Lexington says the turkeys eat those red berries like candy, so they come out with fertilizer - kind of like coated food plot seed!
You might be on to something there Native! "Turkey Shrubs" - grows nearly anywhere!:D

It's literally everywhere. And I was talking about bush honey suckle. I asked for an ID before and I was 100% positive before I started down the path with the hammer. I will win, there isn't a doubt in my mind. I will destroy this crap before it destroys another tree on my land. I have never seen anything like it.

It's literally everywhere. And I was talking about bush honey suckle. I asked for an ID before and I was 100% positive before I started down the path with the hammer. I will win, there isn't a doubt in my mind. I will destroy this crap before it destroys another tree on my land. I have never seen anything like it.
UP - if the neighbors have it - you are fighting a really steep uphill battle. The birds bring it to you. I have mine under control, but I keep a watchful eye for it. I hunt it in the early spring - it's the first shrub in my area to green up and then I hunt for it later in the spring with it's white flower, and then again in the fall when the little red berries show up. If I'm not sure - I kill it anyway! My neighbor has an oak plantation that is now being encroached with this stuff from the other neighbors mess. I figure it's a matter of time before he flips out.

I'm not going to live long enough to beat the buckthorn on my place. I'm not even going to try.

Last fall a doe fawn was coming through the woods and picking out the green buckthorn leaves. She will probably do better at control than me....