All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would you do with this graft?

DrDirtNap

5 year old buck +
This is a crabapple graft from this spring. It is in a pot right now. As you can see only one side of the graft took...which is not uncommon. What bothers me is how then other side of the graft is growing apart and away from the trunk. Just curious if I should do something with this to make sure it ultimately succeeds. I was planning on planting this tree in the field this fall/winter. Thanks
6dc6347f63c5a60569445b4f6b970d4e.jpg
69627873bedc1f4f112995ffadcfbe7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would probably carefully trim off that little stump in spring or during dormant pruning. I would think that should eventually callus over.

I would probably carefully trim off that little stump in spring or during dormant pruning. I would think that should eventually callus over.

I was debating that exactly. Didn’t know if I would do more harm than good by trimming that off...but it is obviously dead wood. Thanks for the suggestion.

Trim off the dead wood so the grafted area can heal over quicker. Seal the area inside the crack.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll make sure and use some sharp pruners.

I would wax it and leave it to grow.