Attachments

• 95B9EFCD-FC05-4EBF-9634-1F034B20495E.jpeg
    95B9EFCD-FC05-4EBF-9634-1F034B20495E.jpeg
    467.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 46C1FDE3-7C33-4112-A427-F8A9B89FB9E0.jpeg
    46C1FDE3-7C33-4112-A427-F8A9B89FB9E0.jpeg
    554.7 KB · Views: 66
Looks like a Chestnut oak.

Could be a few different things. Where is it growing? Dry rocky ridge top or fertile bottom? Limestony soil?

Got a picture of the bark?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the side of a small ditch bank. Limestone soil

Ditchbank probably means not Chestnut oak. Chinkapin oak loves limestone. Ditch bank could also be swamp chestnut oak or swamp white oak. I’d find the parent tree and look at the bark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say most likely Chinkapin Oak . As Mick said Chinkapin love lime stone hill sides and edges more than deep woods because they are fairly short.

Looks like a chink to me. The little points on the ends is what makes me think so. The Chestnut oaks I have seen tend to be more rounded like a traditional white oak. Oak leaves tend to vary some so it can be difficult to tell sometimes. If they produce an acorn you will know then. Chink will be very small like smaller than a dime. Chestnut oak acorns tend to be pretty large. Both types mentioned are "white oaks" and should produce every year. Chinq are far more common, and the bark on mature trees are very different as well. Chinq bark looks more like that of a white oak, while chestnut looks more like that of cottonwood.

I have lot of chinq on my place. They like a course soil that drains well and will range on my place from flood plains to upland areas as long as the soil drains well. The acorns are small and the birds love them and on my place they tend to be the first acorns to fall.

Agree 100% with J-bird's take on the little points at the ends of the leaf lobes. We have a lot of chestnut oaks and the ends are more rounded as J-bird explained.

Side note - Chestnut oaks sprout readily in the fall as soon as the acorns hit the ground. Root radicals pop out and turn down into the soil within a few days of dropping. Great attraction for deer and turkeys. Easily started.