All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to do with predators destroying trees ?

Little big horn

A good 3 year old buck
Just returned from farm 100 miles away coons have busted numerous limbs and even some central leaders ! This is not the first time but as my trees get bearing more seems to get worse I ended up pulling remaining apples off to save trees as they mature, several hundered trapping is really not possible as i'm not there more than a day. I know others have same issues I have 75 plus trees started hoping to produce more than they can destroy but till they get all producing they are really busting them up. thanks

Find a neighbor/teenage and put a $10 bounty on every raccoon and opossum he can trap or shoot. Traps should be checked daily. Have him email pictures for proof-of-death!

I have the same problem. This spring I put 4x8' 1/8' sheets of plastic I got at menards around the susceptible trees and now its a wait and see if it does what I want them to do. That is prevent them from being able to climb the trees to get to fruit and then break branches and even leaders off. They killed two trees last year.

I also plan to use dog proof traps around the trees closest to house to clear out a few more coons.

Google raccoon baffles for fruit trees

Mix fly bait and Coca Cola and ring the dinner bell!

Mix fly bait and Coca Cola and ring the dinner bell!
That works but I wouldn't recommend it. Kill someone's pet and you could be in some trouble.

Can you get there 2 days in a row or be there overnight? Get about 20 dog-proof traps and/or legholds and set them all one day and check the next. Sardines make good bait and raccoons trap easily. A few nights of setting would put a good dent in the population.

Find a neighbor/teenage and put a $10 bounty on every raccoon and opossum he can trap or shoot. Traps should be checked daily. Have him email pictures for proof-of-death!

As long as he is honest. He starts trapping raccoons down the road and transporting them to the property to get a pic and $10. LOL.

That works but I wouldn't recommend it. Kill someone's pet and you could be in some trouble.

That’s fair but I couldn’t imagine anyone’s pet being on my property where I’m at.

Years ago when I hunted coon, I would have loved to coon hunt someone’s land for free. Put word out you want someone to coon hunt, or trap coon, and I bet you will have several interested.

Years ago when I hunted coon, I would have loved to coon hunt someone’s land for free. Put word out you want someone to coon hunt, or trap coon, and I bet you will have several interested.
Good point. I used to coonhunt with hounds as well. Guys would love a nice place to go.

Easy fix. I have a 100 tree orchard 1.5 miles to the back side of my property. I intalled 24 to 28 inch metal stove pipe 2 feet off the ground by drilling holes to affix wire with maple tap tubing over a branch to hold in place. There is no need to snap shut the tubing. Ratcoons and porcupines are unable to climb the trees. You will quickly realize come late hunting season when you see lots of apples still hanging that these critters are the culprits robbing the fruits of your labor. IMG_2620.JPG

As much as I hate the indiscriminate nature of poison, it can be very effective if used carefully. I can't use it at my place in Ontario because we have bears, and I can't risk harming them. But I have used it other places with good results. Mix it with marshmallows, and stuff it down a 4" long metal pipe. Only raccoons will be able to get to it. If you use something that can harm birds, only use it in the fall/winter after the hawks and vultures have left.

I still have cages around my oldest trees planted 2014 so they climb them thinking maybe I could remove next year worried bucks could rub lower limbs . I have a neighbor who will help with some trapping .Used coke and bait for many years on farm worked great but they must have changed it thanks for ideas

at least you are only worried about coons, last year I had a bear rip the lower limbs from my dunstans, reached up to 8 feet and tore off inch and a quarter branches. got the sob on cam doing it.

at least you are only worried about coons, last year I had a bear rip the lower limbs from my dunstans, reached up to 8 feet and tore off inch and a quarter branches. got the sob on cam doing it.

I had about the same thing happen a couple years ago. It sucks, but not much I can do.

Coons are easy to trap either with boxes and conibears or live traps if you can't get there early in morning to check.I actually use all 3 types as soom coons don't like to get close to boxes

Catching a few nuisance coon is how I became a trapping addict lol.

And coons are easy to lure in - they eat just about anything.