What the @#%@ is this ?

I got stabbed by the proboscis of a wheel bug. Remember it being much worse than a bee sting and had a red streak run up the length of my arm.

Are they parasitic? I know some of the southern assassin bugs are, and they carry Chagas disease.

Telemark, you may know more than I do about how much of an actual threat they are related to Chagas. What little bit of reading I've done on them points to 11 or so specific bugs in the assassin bug clan that inhabit the southern half of the US and theoretically can transmit Chagas, yet Wikipedia and a number of other sites point to the bulk of actual significant infections being limited to central and south america. As for being parasitic, almost all I run across are on plant materials or crawling around on structures like the exterior of my home when I see them and they never seem really eager to attack. Don't think I've ever seen one actually in my house.

Chagas'_disease.png

On a probable egg sac note, here's another mystery find... anybody recognizes it, love to know what it is as always appreciate picking up additional knowledge!

20190213_155134.jpg

That might be praying mantis.

Praying mantis...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

MANY thanks for the id, Chickenlittle and Catscratch! See praying mantis around my place from time to time, but never would have crossed my mind that the pictured egg casing might be holding baby praying mantis!

Pic at post #23 - I guess a different kind of mantis than we have here. The egg masses we see here for praying mantis are like miniature bald-faced hornet nests - about the size of a store-bought chestnut or ping pong ball. I know there are several varieties of mantis in the U.S. That style of nest is a new one to me.

Thanks for the pic.

Are they parasitic? I know some of the southern assassin bugs are, and they carry Chagas disease.

I had a professor in college that traveled to regions that had chagas and the assasin bugs. They had forgot their bug nets to sleep at night. They ended up sleeping in a small room with the lights on to discourage the bugs. Apparently they are attracted by the carbon monoxide that’s exhaled and most bites will be on the face and swollen. He basically told us to not worry about it here because most homes keep insects out pretty well. Then followed up with some other professor at WKU has found the same protozoa that causes chagas in raccoons in Kentucky.