All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Kind if Grass?

SwampCat

5 year old buck +
I live in SW Arkansas. This grass attains a height of about ten inches. It grows in full sun or full shade - doesnt matter. It can withstand months of flooding during the growing season and it doesnt kill it. It grows during two month long summer drought periods. It is tough as a boot. Makes a great grass on trails because it really holds the soil but is not so tall as to get in the way. Only grows in the bottoms that I know of.

Any idea what it is? Pics show it growing in full shade, full sun, and close up. Rancher said cows only eat it in spring.
CDCD3D01-21B3-4D90-81D7-262D84B56D15.jpegA7940A35-B22D-47DF-A211-C3E982FB687C.jpegCA00FFDF-E090-4B04-B157-986BA9CF8D9E.jpeg

When you break off a piece, is the stem/leaf flat or triangle shaped?

It is a native, bottomland, grass. I am killing fescue out of all my upland pastures. This stuff grows through thousands of acres of hardwood bottomlands.

Grasses are tough to do with pictures like that. I will take a stab and say it is one of the "Beak Grasses." Everything you say fits some of those species. An example of one is shown in the link below I found for you. The picture there looks similar to your grass.

http://www.spencenursery.com/plants/beak_grass_diarrhena_obovata_(diarrhena_americana).php