What is your favorite trail cam and why?

Not too good; too short and wide. PIRs can be designed to be short and wide angle or a more narrow longer cone.

For you those might not be “good” qualities, but for what I use them for it’s seems great and I am not going spend time, “scrubbing” images. Honestly the range is just as good or better than any other camera at that price point. If one thinks they should be better and compare it to something that’s 4 times the price, It’s just unrealistic expectations. There’s a reason why brownings keep coming up as favorite in this thread. It’s because a lot of us are finding the performance adequate or better than comparable cameras.

There are others that have issues with them. Which is completely fine, it’s their opinion of the product and how they used it and it’s probably not wrong. It’s really subjective to the application and how it’s applied. I have other cameras that I wouldn’t use for much else other than over scrapes and quite honestly they match up great for that. But I wouldn’t put them on trails.

For you those might not be “good” qualities, but for what I use them for it’s seems great and I am not going spend time, “scrubbing” images. Honestly the range is just as good or better than any other camera at that price point. If one thinks they should be better and compare it to something that’s 4 times the price, It’s just unrealistic expectations. There’s a reason why brownings keep coming up as favorite in this thread. It’s because a lot of us are finding the performance adequate or better than comparable cameras.

There are others that have issues with them. Which is completely fine, it’s their opinion of the product and how they used it and it’s probably not wrong. It’s really subjective to the application and how it’s applied. I have other cameras that I wouldn’t use for much else other than over scrapes and quite honestly they match up great for that. But I wouldn’t put them on trails.

Pep,

I wasn't criticizing the camera or its fit for your application. I was just making the point that "good" and "best" are in the eye of the application. Every camera design, has up sides and down sides. Price, as you say is one. When it comes to triggering, PIR FOV, trigger time, missed triggers, and false alarm rate all come into play.

I think it is more beneficial to talk about the characteristics of different cameras and designs rather to talk in terms of best since applications vary. Placing tape on wide angle PIRs was first used when some cameras were designed with the PIR even wider than the FOV of the camera. Back when I was testing a variety of cameras for the class, I found that if you walked slowly across the PIR cone, the camera would trigger before you were in the FOV on the camera. Tape significantly reduced the false alarm rate on these. I think today, most camera manufactures have gotten past that point. Your tip on using tape for better centering is a great one for folks.

Thanks,

Jack

Over the past few years have run a number of moultries, brownings, bushnell, stealth, and plotwatcher pro cams.

Maybe just bad luck of the draw, but while I loved the initial image quality from the brownings within a year of so they developed sticking filter issues that left the majority of night time videos pitch black. With Florida generally warm and relatively muggy, maybe an issue that wouldn't happen as much for others on the forum in less hot and humid areas but all I can say is multiple ones developed the issue (though it is frustratingly intermittent) while other brands haven't given me the same headache.

Moultries have been my primary go-to cameras. Picture quality was starting to lag relative to competitors, but with the most recent releases I've been relatively satisfied with improvements. Pictures from mine are a bit soft, but still much better resolution than prior generations.

As for bushnell, I actually have had good luck with their latest HD Aggressor series. I find their menus to be a bit less friendly / intuitive and a bit of a pain in the butt to go through, but as for video quality and trigger reliability I've been quite impressed.

Much more of a niche camera (and appreciate other cameras are increasingly adding time lapse modes) but from a travel movement education standpoint during hunting season / awesome ease of setup, I still use several aging Plotwatcher Pros and love them. Just wish they'd start working to update resolutions for a new release sometime -- for all I know they may be, or they may not ever introduce another series due to ever-increasing competition. Can be challenging to make out id on distant individual buck with the plotwatcher pros, but if I had to give credit for which camera has provide the best overall intel I'd have to say the plotwatcher pro. With captures set at 2 second intervals during daylight hours it lets me see exactly when deer are moving through my plots, the direction they're doing so, lets me see when bucks begin sparring, when bucks start chasing hard and heavy, and as rut winds down when they start reforming bachelor groups and feeding again at more predictable intervals. Running a couple in different micro-plots also lets me know which plot is hotter / more ideal to hunt. Unlike trigger cams, they never miss action and to the contrary if one makes time to carefully place them with good / deep fields of vision it can be very helpful in knowing if a stand relocation is in order. Would honestly give about 3/4 of the credit to "luck" the past few years to intel gained by the plotwatcher pros.

Bushnells for me now days. I used to use Moultries, but felt their quality went down hill. I run the Bushnells now because I get pics like this.Rooster.jpg

That is simply amazing in my book. My old cuddeback attack quit working out of the blue this winter. Was working fine when I took it down when I went to put it out I couldn't get it to turn on. So I am in the market. I was considering the exodus lyft II. Any reason I shouldn't get this camera? It looked pretty good for a middle of the road camera. I was also considering browning and have a buddy with a bunch of bushnell cameras that he has good luck with.

This is a nice timely thread for me so thanks.

Videos aren't too shabby either, Nova... and love how it can capture continuous videos without time delay between them. Shared this one before, but it's actually 3 videos stitched together. Really challenging setting for a camera too with the sun bright in the distance / it relatively dark in the canopied under story where the video was captured. In brighter conditions the resolution is amazing, much like with your capture.

Videos aren't too shabby either, Nova... and love how it can capture continuous videos without time delay between them. Shared this one before, but it's actually 3 videos stitched together. Really challenging setting for a camera too with the sun bright in the distance / it relatively dark in the canopied under story where the video was captured. In brighter conditions the resolution is amazing, much like with your capture.

What model is that? I have not tried video mode yet, but I am going to set one of the three I have up now on video to check it out. That is a great video for sure!

What model is that? I have not tried video mode yet, but I am going to set one of the three I have up now on video to check it out. That is a great video for sure!
24MP Bushnell HD Aggressor. Camo pattern blends in very well with the tree bark in my area.
HD Aggressor.png

Bigbendmarine, what do you think of the nighttime pictures of that particular camera?

Bigbendmarine, what do you think of the nighttime pictures of that particular camera?
Don't have my drive with videos handy at the moment, but going from memory will say resolution is still good and if had any critique it would be the videos are a bit overexposed / lighting is bright enough to wash out some detail. That said, sure rather have a bit overexposed than so dark I can't make things out and / or have to play with app settings to see what's hidden by being underexposed.

When have a few extra minutes back home, I'll look at some night videos from the Bushnell to be sure my memory isn't playing tricks on me and will share a couple of screen grabs regardless!

I run exclusively Browning Dark Ops now. Not including the newest 2018 version, I can typically find them on sale for 129.00 a few times a year.
I run black flash cameras only because mine are primarily on public land. I set them in inconspicuous spots, and 11-12 feet up. Couple that with no flash, and I have never even had a deer or human looking at the camera. Not once.

The picture quality is awesome on the brownings, for how cheap they run. Unless some other brand in the same price category steps up their game, I highly doubt I will be changing any time soon.

I get little to no blurring in pictures
8adf7ad46d3ccf2743341b1ef3e89159.jpg

Daytime video is very nice

And night time video is pretty solid as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just did a quick search and noticed a couple of different dark ops cameras. Which one specifically are these pictures taken with. IMO these are EXCELLENT for a camera in that price range. I havent bought a new camera in over 5 years so todays technology is leaps and bounds better than what I was use to.

I just did a quick search and noticed a couple of different dark ops cameras. Which one specifically are these pictures taken with. IMO these are EXCELLENT for a camera in that price range. I havent bought a new camera in over 5 years so todays technology is leaps and bounds better than what I was use to.

The night time video and daytime bird pic is from the Dark Ops Elite (their 2016 model)

The daytime video is from the Dark Ops HD (their 2017 model)

The newest Dark Ops HD Pro is supposed to be a significant step up from these as well.

Holy cow. I guess I will be buying a Browning soon.

Trailcampro has a few left of their sale on '17 Dark Ops HD (not the Pro). I think it's two cams for 240. If you buy the sale it doesn't come with their own personal 2 year warranty.

https://www.trailcampro.com/collections/browning-trail-cameras/products/browning-dark-ops-940-hd

That’s a good price...
they are running $10 more on the cheapest Amazon listing. I just got one of the 2016 models from a rewards program at work, otherwise I would have ordered the new one to review. It will probably be months before I buy a new camera now.

Out of 5 varieties of cameras, Coverts are my hands down favorites. Both in quality and customer service if ever needed. I have 3 cameras that are still going strong since 2008 and 5 0thers that have been in operation since 2011.

Attachments

• 2018 Christmas card.jpg
    2018 Christmas card.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMAG0074.JPG
    IMAG0074.JPG
    925.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMAG0134.JPG
    IMAG0134.JPG
    507.2 KB · Views: 37
  • PIRT0302.JPG
    PIRT0302.JPG
    646.1 KB · Views: 37
  • PIRT0302 - Copy.JPG
    PIRT0302 - Copy.JPG
    646.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMAG4918 - Copy.JPG
    IMAG4918 - Copy.JPG
    968.9 KB · Views: 35
  • PIRT0211 - Copy.JPG
    PIRT0211 - Copy.JPG
    578.6 KB · Views: 37
  • PIRT0243 - Copy.JPG
    PIRT0243 - Copy.JPG
    662.5 KB · Views: 34
For whatever it's worth, collection of night and day captures from the same exact camera that showed the buck running up on the doe. Didn't try cherry picking them, instead picking across times of day and night with some captures a bit better quality than others. Will say this as an additional plus for the camera, does the best job of capturing sharp, crisp, clean and relatively loud audio of any camera I've had out to date.

I like my 5 year old moultries and have had issues with brownings.I have a couple bushnells and they were ok but flash stating to go out.I just got the new cheaper exodus today so we will see how it does.

I like Covert. Simple, small, reliable and excellent battery life. Great cameras for ~$100 or less.