All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What/How/Would you plant?

GloryDaysDesign

5 year old buck +
Ok, I am going to try to delete my other thread. Please see the photos below. This is the Northern half of our farm. Would you plant a food plot where the Pink is located? If so, what? I am asking because the farmer is rotating crops this year, and this entire piece (680yd x 350yds) is going to be mostly corn and a strip of alfalfa. This is the first year a crop will be planted in the upper Northern square in a long time. Do you think we should wait a year to plant a food plot so the corn can build the soil? Is this a bad location considering the lay of the land?

Some info:
NorthEast Pennsylvania location - primarily flat
Flourescent Green Border - our land boundary
Orange Dot - Current Blind or Stand
Blue Dot - Neighboring Rifle Tower Blinds
Fast Road runs inbetween Corn fields
JT_Farm.jpg JT_Farm_Aerial.jpg

This is a picture of the right edge of the farm.thumbnail_image2.jpg

Do you have the entire square to work with? or is it set in stone that most of this is getting farmed?
plot.jpg
For now all I will say is corn will not build your soil. Corn is very hard on soil. Buckwheat, brassica and legumes will help build your soil. I will also tell you to consider screens in your planning, both for the plot and for any access needed. Crossing a wide open cut corn or bean field in the am darkness is no fun when you hear deer blowing out of your plot! Also consider the location and layout of your plot when it comes to how you will hunt and the wind directions and the access routes. You want the plot to be situated where it best fits you, not just where it's easiest. Are you considering other habitat projects? How will those influence what your doing today?

J-Bird, thanks for the reply - I couldn't agree more about entry/exit routes. We would love some advice on hunting this property while utilizing habitat/plots to the best of our advantage. Nothing on this farm is set in stone, except for the Orange dot in the corner, as that is a tower blind that is never moving. My hunting partner's dad wanted it there (not us haha). We have the ability to work with the farmer who leases the ag land - so screening, various plots, plots in other locations is an option.

As far as habitat, this entire farm is getting logged by Foresters this year, so that is great news. They are taking out about $80-90K worth of timber! So more sun to the Forest Floor soon.

I met NEPAQDMA on this site, and he has some hinge cutting and tree planting ideas that I hope to get started after the logging is done.

We just need to figure out how to hunt this land!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK - if you can use that entire square - roughly what are the dimensions?

Now this is my opinion and simply suggestions ...... figure out what best fits your needs. I personally would tone down the plot you have drawn. You can still put a plot there to help the tower hunter out that is fine. I would first work on lining the edges of this area with either MG or conifers. This is more to screen the deer from your access (maybe even 2 rows to screen each side). I would also put the main plot as far from the timber as I can (maybe even leaving a few rows of corn in that field). The intent with this is to be able to stack as many deer in your timber as possible, instead of them being on the neighbors. Then anything that isn't plot or screen in this area I would make shrubs and switchgrass which makes great cover. For plot ideas look into LC mix or focus on your prime hunting and find something that the deer really like during that time. You could even leave a few rows of corn in that field as well - 3 or 4 rows of healthy corn produces a decent screen for much of the hunting season, while providing some later season food as well. With limited plot space I would also layer my plots.....use something like oats and peas early and then over seed with rye a bit later. You can also do this if you leave a few rows of that corn standing as well.....just walk the rows with a small chest or hand spreader in late summer as the corn starts to dry down and you will have green food between those rows of corn.

Once we know how big that area is maybe we can get more specific or get a better sense of what is realistic......it's easy to plan on paper, but once we get a sense of scale that tends to change things. Anything you can share with us as far as when and how you prefer to hunt will help as well.....no point making plots longer than you shoot.

I will also mention that plots tend to get over hunted and it's been my experience plots are easy places to kill younger deer....but the older deer tend to stay back in the cover and stage up until dark.....so if those are the deer your after, you may have to change where you hunt and thus plan that access as part of that plan.

again take all of this with a grain of salt....I may have no idea what I'm talking about....you asked for some ideas...I'll toss them out there, some may stick others not so much. I would also encourage you to look at the various property tours and see what others have done and how. And finally don't be afraid to ask questions.

7851ede4bfb993ba11b5f46f2e981520.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our main goal is 365 day nutrition for the deer herd and creating great deer habitat... of course our focus and priority is harvesting a mature hit list buck in our short bow season, from Sept 30 - Nov 11.

To share how we like to hunt:
- 110% bowhunters, stands and blinds
- Only hunting mature deer 3.5 and older, which is really tough in PA
- Lots of rifle pressure in our area, some bow pressure

"I would first work on lining the edges of this area with either MG or conifers."
Are you talking about the edges (stonerows?) of the small 4 acre square? What is MG?

"This is more to screen the deer from your access (maybe even 2 rows to screen each side)."
Are you talking about the edges (stonerows?) of the small 4 acre square? What is MG?

"I would also put the main plot as far from the timber as I can (maybe even leaving a few rows of corn in that field). The intent with this is to be able to stack as many deer in your timber as possible, instead of them being on the neighbors."
I love this idea, I read about this in a Jeff Sturgis book. Considering this entire farm is available, would you still use the 4acre square to plant your plot OR PLOTS!, or somewhere else?

"Then anything that isn't plot or screen in this area I would make shrubs and switchgrass which makes great cover."

So is your strategy to screen this 4acre square, thinking that the deer will be in that plot, so we can sneak around them into the timber?

"With limited plot space I would also layer my plots.....use something like oats and peas early and then over seed with rye a bit later."
Are you considering this area limited plot space? What would be a big plot space? (stupid question). I was recently at a food plot seminar and they were raving about Peas. Definitely going to look into that.

My issue is having an understanding of what can be planted when and in what combination....

Like you said, "use something like oats and peas early and then over seed with rye a bit later. You can also do this if you leave a few rows of that corn standing as well.....just walk the rows with a small chest or hand spreader in late summer as the corn starts to dry down and you will have green food between those rows of corn."

How/Where can I learn this information? Is there a standard process that a certain legume goes with another legume, followed by a specific cover crop? I definitely need to understand this food plot/seed foundation.

Because your region and area may be different than mine in IN I will suggest you reach out to members here from PA or other nearby states. This forum as well as one called deerhunterforum will be a great resource for you to ask these questions and get a far greater array of options than just my opinion. Secondly other professional folks like Steve Bartylla and Jeff Sturgis and their web sites and books. Other threads published by a man named Paul Knox/Lick Creek/ LC/Doubletree - he has passed, but his work and his spirit live on in the foodplot world.

I would also suggest you do some reading....."Quality Food Plots" (used to be available from "the shed" on the QDMA forum), and Jeff Sturgis "by design" book series "food plot success by design", "whitetail success by design" & "Mature buck success by design". Another good book is from Steve Bartylla "white-tailed deer management and habitat improvement". These books have been the backbone of my "deer library" and the forums I mentioned are wonderful additional resources.

I can't possibly tell you what combinations you need or work for each and every "what if"......

To answer one question....MG is a plant called Misganthus Giganticus (look at Bills thread on it). It is a tall perennial grass that is great for screening.

You refer to "stonerows" - I am not familiar with that term. I assume we are talking about the same thing.....this is what I am talking about. Double rows are green, single row is orange. My intent would be to screen your movements.
plot.jpg

Even if you turn the entire 4 acres to food plot - I would still break it up with screens (at least at deer level)

Something I like to do is promote mixes of plants. For perennial plots I like mixing different clovers, chicory and maybe even alfalfa. These will come back every year and tend to provide food for your deer primarily in the cool seasons of spring and fall. Most warm season deer foods are cowpeas or soybeans. These are annuals and will need to be planted every year. Other annual plots can be planted in the late summer or early fall to provide food from fall and into winter. These tend to be brassica (turnips or radish), cereal grains (oats wheat and rye) and maybe even some winter peas.

What I suggested with the standing corn or beans is simply using the increased sunlight that becomes available as that crop dries down and the bare ground underneath to your advantage. Brassica plants, cereal grains and even clovers are wonderful for this purpose and provides even more food to be produce "per acre" This process is documented in many places and some have their own "go to" mixes and combinations and "tricks".

I hope this helps some and gives you some direction in where to look for information. How you hunt, when you hunt and your goals all come into play. Year round nutrition is a noble goal.....depending on your deer density and what you can and can't do I am not sue 4 acres can do that. I have 150 acres total and only plot about 3 acres total - as such I target when I am hunting.....if the deer want to eat at the neighbors come spring and summer....I'm OK with that. I have roughly 100 acres of corn and bean field as well......I am also surrounded by 100's more. I also have a fairly low deer population, yet I still try to get as much as I can out of my plots by planting mixes and "layering".

Something I will warn about is over hunting food plots. They are great places to see deer, but without proper planning it is also a great way to educate deer. I am VERY guilty of that. I my short time doing this the ONLY time I have EVER killed a buck of 3.5 or older influenced by a foodplot was because he was after the does feeding there. Some may have different experiences than that, but this has been my experience.

Great Stuff J-Bird....