What are you planting 2019?

scott44

5 year old buck +
The last couple years I've cut back on what I've planted but I'm still planting about 400 trees and shrubs in an area of our hayfield that I'm reclaiming. I have about 30 chestnuts in pots that I over wintered that are going is also.

25-Ninebark
25-ROD
25-Red Oak
25-SWO
25-White Oak
25-White Pine
30-Autrian Pine
25-White Spruce
25-Blue Spruce
75-Norway Spruce
10-Common Wild Apple
5- Dologo seedlings
25-Hazelnuts
25-Hybrid Willows
600-MG rhizomes
I also bought 10 B118 rootstocks and I am going to try my first attempt at grafting.

That's an impressive list! I'm Hoping to get there in a few years when I'm retired from career #1. A large percentage of our acreage is in early successional or young forest stages. I'm planting fruit trees again this year in an attempt to focus deer movement as the young forest starts to grow out of their reach. At the moment we have a very high stem count and lots of bedding opportunity.

2019 tree order

Northern Whitetail Crabs:
3006 crab-3
Droptine crab-3
Liberty-3
Enterprise-3

St. Lawrence:
Priscilla-1
Liberty-1
Freedom-1
Enterprise-1
Chestnut crab-1

Wildlife group:
Apples:
Dolgo crab x2
Transcendent crab x2
Arkansas black x2

Pears (one of each):
Arthur Ledbetter
Becton
Dixie Delight
Gate
Kiefer
Ms. Laneene
Harrows Delight
TS Hardy
Moonglow
Warren

25 buffalo berry
25 button bush
6 shumard oak
6 shuwillow hybrid oaks

1 each - Enterprise and Goldrush from Cummins.
1 each - Chestnut crab and Winter Wildlife crab from SLN.
50 each - Norway spruce and Balsam fir from Flickinger's Nursery
6 witch hazel and another American high bush cranberry from our county soil conservation district
15 Washington hawthorns - self raised

That's an impressive list! I'm Hoping to get there in a few years when I'm retired from career #1. A large percentage of our acreage is in early successional or young forest stages. I'm planting fruit trees again this year in an attempt to focus deer movement as the young forest starts to grow out of their reach. At the moment we have a very high stem count and lots of bedding opportunity.

2019 tree order

3006 crab-3
Droptine crab-3
Liberty-3
Enterprise-3

St. Lawrence:
Priscilla-1
Liberty-1
Freedom-1
Enterprise-1
Chestnut crab-1

Wildlife group:
Apples:
Dolgo crab x2
Transcendent crab x2
Arkansas black x2

Pears (one of each):
Arthur Ledbetter
Becton
Dixie Delight
Gate
Kiefer
Ms. Laneene
Harrows Delight
TS Hardy
Moonglow
Warren
32 fruit trees? Lotsa work. Get 'er done

4 chestnuts
10 persimmon
10 crabapples
2 hazelnuts
A couple pears and pecans

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Just 8 Apple trees for me. I’m gonna take a break this year.

2019 tree order

3006 crab-3
Droptine crab-3
Liberty-3
Enterprise-3

St. Lawrence:
Priscilla-1
Liberty-1
Freedom-1
Enterprise-1
Chestnut crab-1

Wildlife group:
Apples:
Dolgo crab x2
Transcendent crab x2
Arkansas black x2

Pears (one of each):
Arthur Ledbetter
Becton
Dixie Delight
Gate
Kiefer
Ms. Laneene
Harrows Delight
TS Hardy
Moonglow
Warren
32 fruit trees? Lotsa work. Get 'er done

Yeah, 33 fruit trees is no joke. I planted 24 apples last year and swore I wouldn’t do that many this year, oh well.

I live 4600 miles from our property so energy comes in short but aggressive spurts. The good thing about living far away is a complete lack of distractions when it’s time to work. Unless it’s hunting season or the fish are biting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott,

Just curious, what did you plant before you started "cutting back?"

bill

Scott,

bill
Good question! Years ago I planted 1000’s of cutting in one year but since then I’ve gone very slow....

I’m curious to see Scott’s 600 MG growing later this year.

From Cold Stream Farm to ad to the shrub strips;

25 Chokeberry
25 Winterberry
25 Snowberry
25 Highbush Cranberry
25 Hazelnut
25 Elderberry
25 American Plum

And 25 White pine to ad to road screen

From BigRock Trees
25 Silky Willow for road screen

50 MG rhizomes for road screen

From American Meadows
5lb Pollinator mix
5lb Midwest Wildfower

Adding 12 more grafted apple and six pear to orchards at some point

Scott,

bill
500-1000 trees, shrubs and cuttings, more in the earlier years.

I am on my last big planting year (I think?)

After 4500 trees in 4 years this is easy:

100 White Pines
100 White Spruce
100 Tamarack
100 Silver Maple

Pines and spruce to fill in screens and bedding clusters. Tamarack go in a Canary grass section that floods yearly. The Silver Maples are going to be mixed in cover for browse.

This is the first year I am using ground mats to keep weeds at bay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are you guys planting 100's-1000's of trees? Old fields? I'd have to cut down all my trees to plant that many!

I find the diversity of habitat on this site very interesting, the frozen north to the sandy pine forest of FL and everything in between!

Where are you guys planting 100's-1000's of trees? Old fields? I'd have to cut down all my trees to plant that many!

I find the diversity of habitat on this site very interesting, the frozen north to the sandy pine forest of FL and everything in between!

Can’t speak for everyone but my place was mostly open ground crop and pasture. Over the years I’ve planted 10’s of thousands of cuttings. Killed that many too:emoji_rage:. But the place is quite a bit more scrub ground now compared to the clean farm I bought.

When I bought my place it was a 40 acre hay field, we've taken the back 11-12 acres and have tried turning it into wildlife habitat. Every year or so I take another acre and turn it into habitat.

I put them in my shrub strips that run along what used to be a hay field and is now a native grass pasture. I've got four strips over four hundred yards long down one side and four more down back of pasture almost three hundred yards long, with about five yards between strips. My goal is for them to end up looking like a thick old time fence row full of only things that grow nuts/berries/browse with ground cover in the strips being native grasses for now with clovers/chicory mixed in until trees/shrubs grow big enough to shade that out.

I too am amazed by the volume some of yall are planting. Not just the number of trees, but the acerage requipped for them.

Can yall post pictures of your palntings? Not the individual trees, but a wide view. I am particularly interested to see your shrub plantings. How do yall maintain them? My shrubs would be overtaken by fast growing trees in a few seasons.

Planting in old fields, logged areas, along pipelines, along mountain road, & natural openings.

I too am amazed by the volume some of yall are planting. Not just the number of trees, but the acerage requipped for them.

Can yall post pictures of your palntings? Not the individual trees, but a wide view. I am particularly interested to see your shrub plantings. How do yall maintain them? My shrubs would be overtaken by fast growing trees in a few seasons.
Here's some of my reclaimed hay field, sorry no shrub pics.

RHJrfbc.jpg