What are some methods to scarify large amounts of seed?

WImuzz

5 year old buck +
I have 2lbs of seed (approx 36,000 seeds) that need scarification. I know frost seeding is one method, but I will not be able to frost seed this year. All methods I found online are sandpaper or nail clippers which would be fine for small number of seeds. I'm not sure of the sulfuric acid and boiling water methods...of which both must be timed correctly. Are there any DIY tumbler methods? Any other ideas?

Sure. I planted some bicolor one year. It germinates better with scarification. I took a 5 gal bucket and glued sheets of sand paper to the inside of the bucket. I than just shook the bucket while rotating it. It worked fine and I got good germination.

Thanks,

jack

If you amount of seed is small, you could also do the sandpaper thing like the 5 gal bucket and instead of doing the work by hand, just take it into a paint department and have them shake it for a minute or two on the machine.

I tried some eastern red cedar seeds with a mild bleach/water mixture and then freeze/thaw. It didn't work; at least not yet.

Know anyone who has a brass (for reloading) tumbler?

I have 2lbs of seed (approx 36,000 seeds) that need scarification. I know frost seeding is one method, but I will not be able to frost seed this year. All methods I found online are sandpaper or nail clippers which would be fine for small number of seeds. I'm not sure of the sulfuric acid and boiling water methods...of which both must be timed correctly. Are there any DIY tumbler methods? Any other ideas?
freeze 'em

How do you know these seeds need scarified?

What kind of seed is it, and what is your plan for planting (where/when)?

What about wetting the seed down and putting it in a freezer set to just below freezing?

What kind of seed is it, and what is your plan for planting (where/when)?
ROD. If I planned correctly last year, I would have prepared the bed accordingly. Since I need to do some major preparations, I will not be able to frost seed. They definitely need scarified tho. My fault for lack of planning and my habitat impatience. I do have some areas that I can frost seed it, so we will see what works and doesn't.

Last edited:
I haven't planted ROD by seed so take this with a grain of salt. I have planted bicolor by seed and it germinates much better if scarified. Bicolor is a non-native and with some soil it can become invasive and they especially warn of areas that burn regularly. I don't know how you prepared your seed bed and if you have any vegetative cover now, but if so, I would think that broadcasting the seed cultipacking it, and then burning the field might be another way to scarify the seed. I can't say if this is actually true for ROD, but I've tried both bushhogging and burning my mature stands of bicolor and it definitely bounces back faster when burned.

Thanks,

Jack

ROD. If I planned correctly last year, I would have prepared the bed accordingly. Since I need to do some major preparations, I will not be able to frost seed. They definitely need scarified tho. My fault for lack of planning and my habitat impatience. I do have some areas that I can frost seed it, so we will see what works and doesn't.
https://sheffields.com/seeds-for-sa...-Red-twig-Dogwood,-Red-rood,-American-Dogwood

Link above is where I found instructions on ROD scarifying and stratifying.
124.PNG

If you got a bunch, another thing I might try is smearing some pine cones with peanut butter, roll them in your dogwood seed, and then hang them up where only tweety birds can get at it. Make some natural perches where you want them planted, and let the birds do some of it. Running those seeds through the gut of a bird or deer will loosen up that seed coat. Birds may do a better job of distribution.

Or get three chickens and feed to them, save the poop, dry it out, and spread it. Then eat the chicken.