What apple trees do you want, but don't have yet?

Hey Chickenlittle - How is the Yates doing for you ?? That's one tree I don't have but would like to squeeze one in a spot at camp. One of the guys from Michigan says he has one doing well for him up there. Just wanted some local input.

Here is a photo of my Yates on MM106 rootstock. Hasn't put on a ton a growth but looks healthier than a lot of the grafts in my nursery. If all goes well, I transplant it sometime in November.

Yates on M106 2017 bench.jpg

I think I am done adding. Lost track of how many I have, somewhere between 50-75. My plan going forward is grafting what works over to what didn't. I have a lot of losers, Enterprise, Liberty, and planted rootstocks that need to be grafted over. I have a couple native trees that are all stars, and Kerr that will be my source to graft with.

Hey Chummer, Other than the native trees, what have done well for you up there in the arctic?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Along those same lines, do you have any "redfield" apples? Seems like they should survive the tug hill plateau climate if the scion was truly from there.

My redfield graft from last year is growing great, had a few apples on it this year but I'm letting it grow instead of fruit. I'm curious when they drop up there.

Hey Chummer, Other than the native trees, what have done well for you up there in the arctic?

I would like a Schaefer,Trail, some of these Nevis crab crosses, another Snowsweet. I have tried some of these, but my topworks this year were not good. I have had three successes. Wind broke off a Nevis cross that was one year old. Black mold is hitting my snowsweet.

I could add more after looking at my failures. I favor crab apples in nearly all cases.

Golden Hornet has been a success after two winters. It ahs bloomed every year and is on dolgo.

All winter hangover also failed. I blame several late frosts at killing these topworks.

Art - More All-Winter-Hangover scion available next spring if you want to try it again. No problem !

I hope to add some Golden Hornet and Kerr crabs to the dinner table. I don't have either, so it will be interesting to see how they do - and which are preferred by my four-legged customers. This list is probably incomplete, but it's a start.

Art - More All-Winter-Hangover scion available next spring if you want to try it again. No problem !
Thank you!

As a Northern Grower, I have had the good fortune to monitor and assess many varieties of apples over a twenty year period. Most of our growing region here in Vermont stretches across several USDA zones. From the coldest regions of zone 3a,b along the Northern boarder of Quebec to the much milder region of 5a,b in the Champlain Valley and southern Vermont has allowed me the opportunity to collect enough information to make some sound recommendations with a good degree of confidence for success.

Honeycrisp: Best suited for USDA zones 4 and 5 in but in areas where risk is low for cedar apple rust. HC is moderately susceptible to foliar scab but fruit has good resistance. Honeycrisp although crowned winter hardy does at times suffer some dieback or mortality during extremely cold winters. Unless thinned, can be somewhat biannual bearing. Best feature is the apples hang well after ripping and yield are usually high during fruiting years. Excellent choice for wildlife.

Enterprise: Good disease resistance, few problems with winter kill. Somewhat biannual. Like Honeycrisp fruit hangs very well into late season. I rate it very good for wildlife.

Liberty: Very winter-hardy. Extremely winter-hardy in zone 3a. . Fruit starts to drop when ripen around 1st week of October in Northeastern Vermont. Much of the fruit drops by mid to late October but retains enough fruit to last sometimes into early December. A very reliable producer with excellent disease resistance.

Snowsweet: Tree is winter-hardy but have witnessed some winter kill during two back to back very cold winters. Great for eating. Disease resistant. A good choice for wildlife.

Empire: Great eating and winter hardiness. Fruit falls after ripping. Nice to have in the orchard and great to eat but lacking in the best characteristics for wildlife.

Cortland: Great eating and for processing. Susceptible to scab. Easy to grow and great winter-hardiness. Fruit does not hang well into late season. Not recommended for wildlife

Northwest Greening: Bi-annual, winter-hardy. Not a great producer. I give it a poor rating for wildlife.

Redfree: late summer apple. Very disease resistant. Annual Producer. Apples fall off in early September so not one I would recommend to sustain wildlife in late season.

Jonafree: Good Disease resistance, but not highly productive.

Honeygold: Very bi-annual. Wildlife likes them but if you don't mind it produces every other year, than give it a try it.

Wolf River: Winter-hardy. somewhat Bi-annual. Great for pies. Not on my best list for wildlife.

Fortune 429 (empire x Northern Spy): Great for cider but apples fall shortly after ripening. Biannual bearing. Not recommended for wildlife.

Franklin Cider: Extremely winter-hard, Immune to Scab and CAR. Excellent annual production, apples hang into late season. Favored by deer due to very high sugar content. Great for making cider. Excellent for wildlife.

If I had to pick 5 varieties based on what I think is the ideal apple tree plot for wildlife for Northern Growers I would go with the following varieties:
Honeycrisp, Libery, Enterprise, Snowsweet and Franklin Cider. This combo has been a reliable source of mast crop production on our property and has provided us with much hunting opportunity as well to sustain wildlife into late season. My rootstock of choice is B118.

Thank you, Appleman!

I wish we could get similar recommendations from someone with experience in the northern plains for deer apples. CAR is a major concern for me.
With my limited experience, I would recommend dolgo, Chestnut crab, haralson/haralred, and colombia crab in order of ripening/falling. They all do well with a minimum of care. Tend to bear every other year if left to grow as is, or we get late frosts that take out an entire crop.

I might add Norland as the earliest apple in a few years. I have one on second leaf. Area orchards report it as bearing after our coldest winters.
Kerr, Centennial, Wickson, Whitney, KinderCrisp,and Golden Hornet are also being evaluated.

Red Baron has done well with little CAR.

Hazen is a great eating apple in my view. Chestnut crab is one of the best eating and drops for nearly the whole month of Sept. in my climate.

Dolgo drops over a very short period around Labor Day, but is very easy to take care of.

Very useful observations Appleman, thanks! I have some, but not all on your "go-to" list. Looks like I may be adding some Liberty and Enterprise varieties to the menu.

Douglas Wormless. SLN describes it as close to no spray as it gets. Any Limbertwig that Neahawg has and I don't. :)

I should have plenty for you!

Interesting. Thanks Chummer. I just planted a bunch of both varieties on B118 in west WI in Zone 4.
That's what mine are on as well. I thought maybe it was their first two winters that were the coldest on record but they died back again last year and it was one of the mildest.

Along those same lines, do you have any "redfield" apples? Seems like they should survive the tug hill plateau climate if the scion was truly from there.

My redfield graft from last year is growing great, had a few apples on it this year but I'm letting it grow instead of fruit. I'm curious when they drop up there.
Funny you mention that, I planted three Redfields this year.

Frostbite, Dolgo, Kerr, are my best no issue trees. I have 5 SNL trees (various crabs) that are all doing great. Everything else is hit or miss. It is hard to figure. I planted two goldrush, same year, 30 yards apart. Both grew great first summer, one died that winter, other is still going good. I have lots of these stories where one tree makes it and the other doesn't. It is always the winter that gets them.

After reading Henry Morton's old catalog I feel Smokey Mnt Red and Kentucky limbertwig speaking to me.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

After reading Henry Morton's old catalog I feel Smokey Mnt Red and Kentucky limbertwig speaking to me.

Hey Merle
My Kentucky Limbertwig hasn't bore any fruit yet, but if you want some scion remind me this winter.

Hey Merle
My Kentucky Limbertwig hasn't bore any fruit yet, but if you want some scion remind me this winter.
Thanks! That's one down. We'll have several limbertwigs, plus if I get smokey Mnt, I'll send some of that too. You'll get arkansas beauty as a bonus scion.