Went to the range yesterday.

omicron1792

5 year old buck +
Is a newer range in talladega Alabama. Nicest range I can imagine. Has electronic scoring at all targets. Multiple ranges and distances. Check out pics and maps.

Also using Blaser r8 now. Have 5 barrels with different calibers and three stocks. All can be switched and swapped together.

Using pulsar duo dxp 50. Is a day scope with a thermal channel. Game changer with 5 rifle profiles each with 10 distances. Zeroed at 100 then used pulsar ballistic app for others. Was hitting black with day and thermal at 600. Can be swapped to every barrel with no rezero and ready to shoot out to 600.

View attachment 62724

I would give some money just to have a decent outdoor rifle range around here. You would think out of all states KS would have a public, non- member rifle range in every county. Not the case.

I would give some money just to have a decent outdoor rifle range around here. You would think out of all states KS would have a public, non- member rifle range in every county. Not the case.
I grew up going to rifle ranges near my home town. All of them I remember are now shut down. I think most guys either set up a range on their own land, or have a buddy who did.

I grew up going to rifle ranges near my home town. All of them I remember are now shut down. I think most guys either set up a range on their own land, or have a buddy who did.
We have the space, but I dont want to drive the deer away from my property. I also feel like if I do it all the neighbors who are relatively close will get the impression that is a green light to set up their own ranges.

We have the space, but I dont want to drive the deer away from my property. I also feel like if I do it all the neighbors who are relatively close will get the impression that is a green light to set up their own ranges.
Same. I shoot some at my place, but I’m not sure pumping lead all year helps keep deer around.

We dump lead from the deck ALL year long. Deer don't pay any attention. Sometimes we shoot over deer to targets past them. Sometimes they walk away, sometimes the dont. But, I certainly understand you guys concern. I just like to shoot enough to not let it bother me.

I don't shoot (except for hunting) at my hunting places, but we have a 100 and 200 yard range with a nice bench at my dad's place. In addition, we can shoot 300 to 500 yards off of truck hood there if we want to. I also pay $50 a year to be able to use a local sportsman's club range. It's really nice and has good benches, but you can only get 100 yards there.

Last edited:
There is a public range in the corner of the public land I hunt. Deer hear shooting all year long so don't pay it any attention. They still travel through the woods at the same times they do anywhere else.

During our 9 day rifle season, when deer start hiding after a couple of days, the deer near the range are still acting normal. They don't realize the nearby gunshots are now from hunting.

There is a public range in the corner of the public land I hunt. Deer hear shooting all year long so don't pay it any attention. They still travel through the woods at the same times they do anywhere else.

During our 9 day rifle season, when deer start hiding after a couple of days, the deer near the range are still acting normal. They don't realize the nearby gunshots are now from hunting.
I guess they would adapt to the sound. The pressure in the middle of the property is what would worry me.