Weeds question

So to piggy back off of the first question...can I spray 24 D on sweet corn once it starts coming up? This stuff took over my corn too.
It won't kill your corn, but I'm not sure if or how long you might have to wait to consume it afterward?

EDIT: SD and I were thinking the same thing, I thought I remembered that, but could recall the specifics.

Ace, did you get a price sheet for consulting rates when you signed up here? :D

It won't kill your corn, but I'm not sure if or how long you might have to wait to consume it afterward?

EDIT: SD and I were thinking the same thing, I thought I remembered that, but could recall the specifics.

It can turn it white as hell if you spray it to tall, I can tell you that from enough guys making that mistake.

It can turn it white as hell if you spray it to tall, I can tell you that from enough guys making that mistake.
Corn would be sprayed early when this pigweed starts to consume the rows.

It's a bad weed for sure.

Ok what kind of idiot told you to come here.

Reactions: Ace
Then it is probably Glyphosate resistant for sure. 2,4-D will be the cheapest route to go if you spray 12" and down. 2 pints and 20 gal water per acre. But you may have up to a month of residual that come along with using 2,4-D. Liberty herbocide would be a great choice at about $15-20 acre, and you do not have to worry about residual carryover. Good Luck!
Just reading back...what are you meaning by residual?

It will start to set seed lower and lower to the ground after successive mowings.
Well that sucks!

Just reading back...what are you meaning by residual?

Chemical properties that stay in the ground for a period of time keeping some plants from growing very well, or not all.

Great feedback, thanks. I will see what I can find locally and hopefully spray Saturday.

What would s normal cash crop farmer do about a weed like this?

This is way over my head, but I found this from University of Arkansas.

Recommendations for the
Control of Glyphosate-Resistant
Pigweeds in Soybean

A carefully planned herbicide program may
provide effective control of Palmer amaranth and
other pigweed species in soybean. Various herbicides
may be used interchangeably and selected based on
weed spectrum, price and availability. In addition to
herbicides, certain practices such as drill seeding, irrigation
to activate pre herbicides and crop rotation can
have significant impact on the success of managing
Palmer pigweed.

The following are some possible specific program
approaches for the control or prevention of
glyphosate-resistant pigweed in soybean. See the
publication MP44, Recommended Chemicals for Weed
and Brush Control, for a complete listing of herbicides
that offer good control of Palmer amaranth in
soybean and other crops.

• Begin with clean fields by utilizing a good burndown
program of glyphosate or Gramoxone
(paraquat) plus Valor at recommended rates.
Tillage can also be utilized instead of chemical
control and is good resistance management. Valor
and other residuals should not be applied more
than 10-14 days prior to planting soybean.

• Where tillage is used to start with a clean
seedbed, begin with a true preemergence application
of Dual, Valor, Authority MTZ or one of the
Valor-containing premixes, such as Envive. In
addition pendimethalin (Prowl) or trifluralin
(Treflan) products applied preplant incorporated
will also provide control or suppression of Palmer
amaranth. Whether used in a burndown or
preemergence application, both Valor and Dual
Magnum should provide 3-4 weeks of residual
control of Palmer amaranth under favorable
conditions. Prefix (Dual + Reflex) is an excellent
residual material for pigweed control; however,
due to label restrictions on the total amount of
fomesafen (Reflex/Flexstar) that can be used in a
single growing season, this treatment should be
reserved for POST application of either Prefix,
Flexstar or Flexstar GT (fomesafen + Roundup).

• Flexstar at 1.25 pints per acre in-crop will
provide good control of Palmer amaranth that is
below two inches tall. This may be as early as 1014
days after soybean emergence. Flexstar can be
tank-mixed with glyphosate for effective control of
other weeds present.

• Prior to Palmer amaranth emergence, Sequence
herbicide (glyphosate + metolachlor) or a similar
tank-mix can be used early-POST to extend the
residual control of pigweed.

• Crop rotation to rice is a good resistance management
strategy. However, care should be taken to
control Palmer amaranth around the edge of rice
fields and on the levees.
Rotation to Liberty Link® soybean and proper
use of Ignite herbicide is a good resistance
management option. Ignite should be applied to
2-3 inch pigweed, following an effective residual
(pre-emerge) treatment, such as Prefix. If no
residual is used, Ignite should be tank mixed with
a residual product like Dual, Warrant (acetochlor)
or Prefix and applied to 2-3 inch pigweed approximately
7-14 days after soybean emergence. Use
full labeled rates. Make a sequential application
of Ignite when pigweeds reemerge, prior to
canopy closure.

The problem is 2-3" Pigweed would be great! No one ever sprays until it is 2'

Well if it makes you feel any better, deer love pigweed lol

WTH Mo! Watering down the whiskey again?;):D

How about an update almost a year later.....this stuff sucks!

Spoke with the extention agent this spring and he said to "dry bed" it. Which I believe was to kill, and keep tilling, repeat. That didn't work...I ended up spraying with 2-4D earlier in the summer, that kept it at bay for a bit. Then another round took off. Bash my head...

How about an update almost a year later.....this stuff sucks!

Spoke with the extention agent this spring and he said to "dry bed" it. Which I believe was to kill, and keep tilling, repeat. That didn't work...I ended up spraying with 2-4D earlier in the summer, that kept it at bay for a bit. Then another round took off. Bash my head...

It's like getting married. Once you got it, its hard to part with it. Read that any way you want.

Herbicide: Banvel (dicamba) + 2,4D, + MCPA of one sort or another. This mix will kill all broadleaf weeds. Spray the pigweed before it hits 4" tall. Three inches is great if you can get there. Then, I'd plant cereal grains. The herbicide is "friendly" (in an Afghanstan sort of way) to corn and cereal grains like rye, oats, and wheat.

The problem with turning the soil like your agent suggested is your always bringing new seed to the surface. I read somewhere on the Internet (so, it must be true) a (one) pigweed plant can produce thousands of seeds and they will lay buried in the soil for decades!! So, stop tilling!

Another option is glyphosate! Yes! Not all pigweed is resistant. But, Monsanto has hedged their bets and has packaged glyphosate with banvel (dicamba). It's called RoundUp Extend. I'm not sure it's approved yet.

The thing about Banvel is that it has some residual - that is, it stays in the soil and mows down little pigweeds LONGER than 2,4-d. If I remember correctly, 2-4, D's half-life is seven to 10 days depending on soild temps. Banvel 's half life is quite variable, but it leaches out of the soil in 3 - 12 weeks. So, maybe you can get an effective action twice as long from dicamba.

All you can hope for is to keep it under control.

Good luck!

The problem with turning the soil like your agent suggested is your always bringing new seed to the surface. I read somewhere on the Internet (so, it must be true) a (one) pigweed plant can produce thousands of seeds and they will lay buried in the soil for decades!! So, stop tilling!

Yeah, that was kinda my concern as well....but he suggested it, so I tried it. Crazy part is after I sprayed 2-4D, I didn't till again and it came back.

A clirification on this ground is half of the tilled area has been my garden and half a foodplot.

Thanks Dan

Yeah, that was kinda my concern as well....but he suggested it, so I tried it. Crazy part is after I sprayed 2-4D, I didn't till again and it came back.

A clirification on this ground is half of the tilled area has been my garden and half a foodplot.

Thanks Dan

Well, a garden and a food plot. Ever heard of a hoe? Let me be clear, its got a long wooden handle with a blade at the bottom. If you choose to spray, the only time you won't be spraying is in the winter unless you live in Florida. I think, if you can find an economic use for pigweed you can harvest a bumper crop every month!