Weed barrier ???

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
I bought a 5ft roll of weed barier fabric and placed around a couple trees. Went to water them and the water won’t pass through the fabric. Just ponds up. The fabric has the texture of a dryer sheet. It is semi transparent. Couldn’t believe it when the water wouldn’t pass through! Is this stuff no good for fruit trees? Should i poke a bunch of holes in it and top it off with gravel or mulch? Not sure about this one

I bought a 5ft roll of weed barier fabric and placed around a couple trees. Went to water them and the water won’t pass through the fabric. Just ponds up. The fabric has the texture of a dryer sheet. It is semi transparent. Couldn’t believe it when the water wouldn’t pass through! Is this stuff no good for fruit trees? Should i poke a bunch of holes in it and top it off with gravel or mulch? Not sure about this one

I would make three or four slices in it that lead to the tree. A little gap in them is good so the soil can breathe and get moisture.

I had a poor doing tree that I just moved and discovered a waterproof barrier around the tree that was probably the wrong choice. The soil is moist in that location, but I think the lack of air was the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the cheapskate, Jack Pine Savage method.

Save your dog food bags year around. Cut them open and place around tree with the tree planted in a slight dip if light soil so water runs towards the tree. No dip in heavy soil. Intentionally leave gaps or slit the dog food bag around the tree, leaving the biggest gap on the southwest side of the tree near the trunk. Cover with two or three layers of card board and set a few wood blocks on top to hold it down. Mulch on top is ok.

The gap on the southwest side allows a few weeds to grow and shade the trunk giving some protection against sunscauld or winter burn or whatever you want to call it.

A few weeds here or there are ok.

I just need to clarify that Jack Pine Savages are the northern cousins of southern Rednecks.

We are known for being much better looking and more humble than our southern cousins. We also get cabin fever during the winter and it affects our brains.

And I hope you believe everything I say! ;)

Thanks guys. Ran down to the farm early this morning and put the weed barrier down. Sliced it around the tree then poked some additional holes with a pick axe then topped off with creek gravel.
3F183ECB-936F-4DD4-9101-607DC7EA47B2.jpeg

I guess ive noticed that with all the weed barrier fabric ive used, including the stuff from the NRCS office. Ive had good luck with it. I cut an X where the tree is and have the tree in a slight depression. For my fruit trees Ive used mulch but I havent with my evergreens. I think it seems water repellent at first but does in fact still breath well. The Ponderossa and BHS trees ive planted with it are twice as big than the ones I did without it. FWIW, the "woven" and "non-woven" both seem to repel water from my experience. Rain water still seeps in from around the mat and what lands on the mat will funnel right to the X. I wouldnt worry. It better be ok... its what the state uses for hundreds of acres of tree plantings!

I think they are more permeable to rain than to watering. Pour water on it and it runs off. I would water from uphill so it runs under. But drizzle water over the entire surface like rain and it will make its way through. But the real benefit is reducing competition and slowing how fast it dries out.

I posted about the fabric I chose last year on here. I think it was preen? Water stayed sitting on it for hours. The directions indicated there was a shiny side, but I couldn't get anyone to agree which side that was. I wrapped pieces of it, both ways up, and layered it over cups in the kitchen and not a single drop made it to the cup in 24 hours. I used it anyway, and eventually I think it breaks down enough in the environment so that water does filter through. The trees are doing fine, although this year I bought a more industrial fabric that resembles a cheap blue furnace filter, and I like it.

There are two kinds of landscaping material, one is gas and water permeable and the other is not. Be sure you start with the permeable kind.