Watering holes in plots

EarthySpirit

5 year old buck +
I've heard conflicting thoughts on this from Jeff Sturgiss and Steve Bartylla. Jeff says not to put watering holes in food plots, but Steve definitely says to do it. I can't think of why we should not, but would be curious of everyone's thoughts on this. I'm considering doing so on my two 1/3 acre plots this spring. Thanks for any input.

I've heard conflicting thoughts on this from Jeff Sturgiss and Steve Bartylla. Jeff says not to put watering holes in food plots, but Steve definitely says to do it. I can't think of why we should not, but would be curious of everyone's thoughts on this. I'm considering doing so on my two 1/3 acre plots this spring. Thanks for any input.
I haven’t followed either of those guys closely, but I’m curious what Jeff’s justification/reasoning behind not putting water in/around a food source is?

Here is the video I hear him say it. Not completely spelled out (starting somewhere around 2:15), but I think he means since water defines movement, he's concerned deer will be in the plot drinking water while you're trying to access the stand. Not sure though.

Here is the video I hear him say it. Not completely spelled out (starting somewhere around 2:15), but I think he means since water defines movement, he's concerned deer will be in the plot drinking water while you're trying to access the stand. Not sure though.

Yeah he wasn’t real specific there. He called it a big “no-no” but not sure his justification warrants that designation. Seems like saying that locating water within a food source is redundant/unnecessary would make more sense. Or that locating water in a food plot instead of on the way to the food plot is less effective in predicting how deer will get to the plot (I.e. deer will be directed past the water on the way to the plot). Not sure I see any real down side of water being in or near food myself. I can see water in the edge of the timber on the downwind side of a plot being a great spot to catch a buck taking a shot water break while cruising.

Yeah he wasn’t real specific there. He called it a big “no-no” but not sure his justification warrants that designation. Seems like saying that locating water within a food source is redundant/unnecessary would make more sense. Or that locating water in a food plot instead of on the way to the food plot is less effective in predicting how deer will get to the plot (I.e. deer will be directed past the water on the way to the plot). Not sure I see any real down side of water being in or near food myself. I can see water in the edge of the timber on the downwind side of a plot being a great spot to catch a buck taking a shot water break while cruising.

Agree with this. Can't see a real justification for not putting one in the plot, which I intend on doing this spring/summer. With a couple creeks on my property, it does not make sense to add watering holes "on the way" to my plots since the deer cross the creeks on the way to the plots. My scenario is unique of course.

Agree with this. Can't see a real justification for not putting one in the plot, which I intend on doing this spring/summer. With a couple creeks on my property, it does not make sense to add watering holes "on the way" to my plots since the deer cross the creeks on the way to the plots. My scenario is unique of course.
It plan to do the same at some point. I just got this farm in September last year so I’m currently triaging projects as there are a lot of them on the list! Post back on your methods and progress once you get going. Curious to see how others are going about it.

It plan to do the same at some point. I just got this farm in September last year so I’m currently triaging projects as there are a lot of them on the list! Post back on your methods and progress once you get going. Curious to see how others are going about it.

I will do that, please do the same if you don't mind.

I would guess putting a water hole somewhere else so the deer would have to be moving around.

With a couple creeks on my property, it does not make sense to add watering holes "on the way" to my plots since the deer cross the creeks on the way to the plots

Do the creeks run all the time? Or only after a rain? Can you hunt the creeks as a watering hole? My uncle dug out an area in a creek bed to hold water, basically like a small pond. The deer use it constantly. Unfortunately it is very hard to hunt.

I own a ridge with 2 creeks on each side and I'm surrounded by ag. Steve designed my place.
I have 1- 4 water holes on my plots, 20 yards from each stand. Seems to be working for me. I've watched buck chase doe and get a drink. Shot my buck this year following a hot doe that drank 1hr. earlier.

Do the creeks run all the time? Or only after a rain? Can you hunt the creeks as a watering hole? My uncle dug out an area in a creek bed to hold water, basically like a small pond. The deer use it constantly. Unfortunately it is very hard to hunt.

One creek runs all year around (bordering west part of property), and the other one runs through the center of my property, and runs roughly from November till July. I have thought of doing what you suggested, digging out a larger hole for the creek to fill up. My problem with hunting the creek is swirling winds, because there are ridges on either side. So unless its a calm day with good thermals, its extremely difficult to hunt the bottoms. I've been focusing on the ridge tops and benches. Thanks for the thought, however.

I own a ridge with 2 creeks on each side and I'm surrounded by ag. Steve designed my place.
I have 1- 4 water holes on my plots, 20 yards from each stand. Seems to be working for me. I've watched buck chase doe and get a drink. Shot my buck this year following a hot doe that drank 1hr. earlier.

Sweet! Thats awesome, Weezy! Steve seems to know what he's talking about!!!

My problem with hunting the creek is swirling winds, because there are ridges on either side. So unless its a calm day with good thermals, its extremely difficult to hunt the bottoms. I've been focusing on the ridge tops and benches. Thanks for the thought, however.

That's the problem I ran into as well. It's nearly impossible to hunt with a bow. I got a small 8-point with a gun once, maybe 10 years ago, when I set up about 75 yards from a trail that leads to the watering hole, but I've pretty much given up hunting it in favor of better spots.

I've got a couple of waterhole on the edges of plots. Hunting them isn't a concern due to the fact that I don't hunt my plot, so I won't be bumping deer there anyway. I get a ton of use at the holes though and they are a constant gathering place for deer.

Just a precaution, water holes are the perfect environment for the midge that spreads EHD. I don't know the risks in your area but in my opinion it's worth looking into. I believe there are ways to build the hole that can minimize the risk.

water holes are the perfect environment for the midge that spreads EHD. I don't know the risks in your area but in my opinion it's worth looking into. I believe there are ways to build the hole that can minimize the risk.

You're right. Midge larva like shallow (<2"), muddy, warm, water around the edges of a body of water. Steep sides, clean water, lack of mud, low temperature, high oxygen, etc can reduce the ability of midge larva to survive. I believe copper inhibits their growth as well.

You're right. Midge larva like shallow (<2"), muddy, warm, water around the edges of a body of water. Steep sides, clean water, lack of mud, low temperature, high oxygen, etc can reduce the ability of midge larva to survive. I believe copper inhibits their growth as well.
Is there any additive that can be used in a small watering hole or pond to reduce the ability of the midge larve to survive? I don’t have any specifically built water homes yet but do have two old small ponds that are most silted and grown in that the deer still use...seems like they could be s breeding ground for EHD and the risk is definitely there in our area. We have been hit be EHD several times.

I've built mine with straight sides (straight up and down) and tend to put a mineral site on the edge so that they have higher Cu and mineral content in the water.

Is there any additive that can be used in a small watering hole or pond to reduce the ability of the midge larve to survive? I don’t have any specifically built water homes yet but do have two old small ponds that are most silted and grown in that the deer still use...seems like they could be s breeding ground for EHD and the risk is definitely there in our area. We have been hit be EHD several times.

I'm far from an expert. I believe there are things you can use, like copper, but I'm not certain on that. EHD has never been a problem for me where I hunt, so I haven't looked into it deep enough to speak authoritatively. I recently read salt does NOT help prevent midges from breeding. I have used copper for a long time to kill invertebrates in fish tanks, but I've heard you have to be careful with it around livestock.

I think the answer to the waterhole question depends on the situation.

Water and feed can help define lines and time of movement. More or less movement depends on your property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff says to only put a water hole within shooting range. He also focuses on not directly hunting over plots most of the time. Therefore putting the water hole back in the woods but close to the plot will help define the line of movement and not hunt directly over the plot. Add a trail to connect the plot to the mock scrape, to the water hole and then the bedding areas, and hunt that line of movement (closer to bedding in the am and closer to the plot in the pm). From what I have seen, I agree with Jeffs approach. It seem Steve likes the water hole on the edge of plots to setup his low impact camera locations. Also hidden water holes in areas bucks typically bed seem to be good spots during the rut.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk