Warm Feet

Wow. Claims they go to size 14. Cant you slip your boots into these Cinderfreeborn?
Nope, not going to happen. I was not made for much of today's off the shelf stuff. Looks like I'm going to have to look elsewhere for my solution.

I'm looking for a winter project. I saw a guy on the web who built a jacket using heat strips and batteries. Why not do that and then use larger batteries. Could be a money maker if it worked and you could source the batteries cheap enough.

We will see if it's possible?

Jerry got too much nitrogen as a child. :)

How tall are you?????????????

I don't remember exactly, but I'm 6' and Jerry makes me feel short.

He's a big dude. Think "Paul Bunyan" only real and clean shaven.

How tall are you?????????????
Not as tall as I use to be, damn age is catching up to me. 6'7" plus a little and about 280 lbs. Big enough that I don't buy off the shelf very often.

Jerry-DeWalt makes construction clothes and now hunting clothes that are heated with a battery.

Word is that if you bring a $20 toy into a local Runnings, you get $50 off of a jacket. $150 final price. Extra/extra larges might be more.

Remember the show "Gentle Ben"? I think Jerry used to be the star of that show ? ;) A great guy!

Here are some thing that I have experience with.

Heater body suit. Flat out works. Best for the coldest weather. Bulky. Hardest to pack. Warm body = warm feet.

Arctic shield boot covers. Keep feet warm. Put them on right away. Don't wait till you are cold. Disposable hand warmers are a nice addition. Pack easily. They also quiet your feet. I almost always pack them. They can act as a seat cushion. I don't like getting a wet butt.

Gerbings heated back support. Works good and feels good. Not bulky. Fits under clothes. I don't use hbs as much since I got this.

Thin merino wool sock liners. Keep feet dryer. Use with medium weight sock. Don't make your boots too tight.

The arctic shield boot covers is my recommended first purchase.

Last edited:
How would those boot covers work for ice fishing? Not just sitting but occasional walking from hole to hole. Also occasional water on top of the ice.

I have the Thermacell insoles. They aren't the end all be all but I still use them. For shorter sits they are good but I still get cold feet in the evenings on all day sits.

I had a pair of similar overboots that Cabelas sold. They wouldn't be any good to walk it and they'd probably get worn out on ice. For stand hunting, the neighbor girl would bring a sleeping bag to sit in with her boots on. Nice use of an old bag you don't mind getting dirty or wet.

I had a pair of similar overboots that Cabelas sold. They wouldn't be any good to walk it and they'd probably get worn out on ice. For stand hunting, the neighbor girl would bring a sleeping bag to sit in with her boots on. Nice use of an old bag you don't mind getting dirty or wet.

I had a friend that did this....about 25 years ago. He swore by the warmth of sitting in his bag. Made sense then.....I just never tried it.

You can find an old sleeping bag for $10 at the 2nd hand store. Could spay with some kind of coating to make it wind-proof if needed. I bet a guy would be happy and cozy warm. Bag gets dirty.....pitch it and get another.....lots of 'em out there.

I've used the old sleeping bag on cold days.

Sleeping bags are a good alternative. Several years back I bought a product called the Blanket Bag, it was a closeout deal on ebay, cost me $35. It is similar to a sleeping bag, has a flat botton, suspender and pockets. Not has bulky as a sleeping bag. Liked the product, and it kept me warm. I found it to restrictive in the width for all day sits. I eventually got a the HBS. Since then my daughter started hunting. She loves the Blanket Bag. Keeps her warm and comes right up to her chin if needed. Saved me a bunch of money not having to buy cold weather gear for a growing kid. I wanted to buy one for my nephew who started hunting this year. Can't find the Blanket Bag, but saw an add in WI Outdoor News for a very similar product called Half In The Bag. I contacted the company and the cost is $150, not too bad but more than I would spend on a present for my nephew. Just passing this info along in case some one is interested.

http://www.halfnbag.com/

Last edited:
How would those boot covers work for ice fishing? Not just sitting but occasional walking from hole to hole. Also occasional water on top of the ice.

They would work for ice fishing and I would be ok walking in mine for a short distance, but I wouldn't use them if there is standing water. Bottom is water proof but seams and sides are not.

Black Mickey Mouse Boots - Military Surplus (10 Regular) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005PXHL1I/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_2GVLub0J9TZYT

I've had a pair of these since the 80's and have never needed anything else. I've even worn them with very light socks just to see if my feet would get cold. They didn't.
Good luck.

Verso makes an insole that has a buit in thermostat. I had the same proplem as your grandson froze my feet working cattle as a kid. Not the cure all but have helped me. I also ware light boots to the stand and switch to heavy boots, if my feet sweat at all I'm done. www.verseo.com/thermosoles-rechargeable-heated-insoles.html

Black Mickey Mouse Boots - Military Surplus (10 Regular) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005PXHL1I/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_2GVLub0J9TZYT

I've had a pair of these since the 80's and have never needed anything else. I've even worn them with very light socks just to see if my feet would get cold. They didn't.
Good luck.
I have the white ones and they are by far the warmest boots I have ever had but 8 hours on the ice and my feet still get cold