All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Volunteer Buckwheat

cbw

5 year old buck +
We rollercrimped and sprayed buckwheat and drilled peas/beans and brassicas Aug. 8. Sept 9 we over seeded WR with hand spreader after getting no rain. Checked yesterday and it looks like the rye, peas, beans and brassicas are all coming up. Finally.

BUT even thicker, it looks like buckwheat is growing. Apparently, we waited too long to knock it down. I’m concerned it will choke out the rest. Thinking of mowing it when it gets tall enough. Other thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
f6e6b85486ccf709ea3df6befb22cfc0.jpg

Not sure where you are but if it were me here in MI this time of year I'd let it go, a couple good frosts will get most everything except the rye. It also looks like everything is about the same height so it might be tough mowing.

Not sure where you are but if it were me here in MI this time of year I'd let it go, a couple good frosts will get most everything except the rye. It also looks like everything is about the same height so it might be tough mowing.

Thanks. SW Iowa. Yes, similar height now. Good point about the frost...

I've found young buckwheat to be like candy for the deer in a fall plot. Have watched the deer pick out buckwheat plant after buckwheat plant from a variety of plants growing. Too expensive to plant for only a few inches of growth and quick death once the frosts hit, but when volunteer I'm all for it.

I've found young buckwheat to be like candy for the deer in a fall plot. Have watched the deer pick out buckwheat plant after buckwheat plant from a variety of plants growing. Too expensive to plant for only a few inches of growth and quick death once the frosts hit, but when volunteer I'm all for it.

Good to hear! Our first time planting it, so hope the deer do the same thing in this area. Thanks.

I am with the others. I bet it will be highly attractive just like fall planted sunflowers or soybeans.

I love the buckwheat that volunteers in my fall plants! Warm season annuals like buckwheat have a lot of energy stored in the seed so they can compete with summer weeds. All the energy in the young sprouts make them very attractive to deer when planted in the fall. Some folks, depending on soils and timing may have issues with a volunteer buckwheat crop choking out a fall plant. I've never had that issue with my soil and timing. Buckwheat is very sensitive to frost. Anything the deer don't eat before then is killed making room for other plants in my fall plant.

Thanks,

Jack

Yep, just wait. First decent frost and it will be nuked.

Reactions: cbw
Ya’ll were right. Temps dipped to mid-low 30’s a couple days ago and nuked the BW. No need to sweat it.