All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Video or Picture

Bigshooter19

5 year old buck +
Hey was wonder what people choose when they set there trail cams out. Video or Picture? Length and delay?

I do both photo and video but prefer video because so much more is learned about deer by watching them. However it is quite time consuming going through a ton of videos.

I have my cams set to take one pic followed by a ten second video with no delay. I prefer the vids.

Right now I have one set to videos and one set to pics. It depends a lot on how many times I think the area will be utilized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Video is nice, but it takes ALOT of time to go through 20 or 30 cams worth of video.

Pics mostly for me, with vids saved for scrape locations or funnels and trails to/from doe bedding during the rut phases.

I have mine set on photo but will change a couple over to video for scrapes.

I have mine set to video - my cams sit over mineral sites and it is nothing for me to have to review 200 videos for only 2 weeks of activity. Yes - it's the same deer, over and over and over again. However I like seeing the interaction that I may otherwise not see. I live on my place and checking cams and swapping cards every couple of weeks isn't an issue.

how to you guys quickly watch all of the videos? With photos you can just click the arrow to get the next one, but I haven't seemed to find that right app to scroll through all the videos. It seems like I have to open the folder and click on each one to watch.

how to you guys quickly watch all of the videos? With photos you can just click the arrow to get the next one, but I haven't seemed to find that right app to scroll through all the videos. It seems like I have to open the folder and click on each one to watch.
That's what I do. But if I don't see anything I'm interested in at the beginning I click ahead to about the midway point, 15 seconds for me on my 30 second videos, and if there is still nothing interesting I close it and move on to the next. As the rut approaches I watch more of the video as you never know who is following in tow.

With the setup I am using, one pic followed by a 10 second vid, I go into my computer and click H drive to look at my pics. It shows the pic thumbnail with the vid right after it. I enlarge the icons/thumbnails and if the pic thumbnail looks interesting I will play the vid. I can scroll through the vid as it is playing. I use "no delay" so I usually have a bunch of pics and vids.

I don't like the currently I have to click on a video that opens the app to watch it, then I close the app, then click on the next one which just opens the app again.

What I would like to find is an Application that I can open up the first video, watch it (or stop it), and then click a button or press a key and watch the next one.

Edit: VLC's open folder option may do what I want, I will have to set a camera to video and test it out.

Last edited:
I watched 200 videos off of one card over the weekend......which was about 6 total instances of does coming to the mineral block. Each video is 10 seconds long. I can look at all the files and the times and tell you how many times the site was visited. I watch everyone.....and yes it's frustrating when I watched 200 videos and not a buck in the bunch.....did get a few cure ones of fawns. However it will be real cool if/when I ever get a really nice buck. As soon as a switch to pics - I'll get pictures of deer butt! Or a pic of a buck and it will be a terrible angle - video tends to give you a decent look.

I don't like the currently I have to click on a video that opens the app to watch it, then I close the app, then click on the next one which just opens the app again.

What I would like to find is an Application that I can open up the first video, watch it (or stop it), and then click a button or press a key and watch the next one.

Edit: VLC's open folder option may do what I want, I will have to set a camera to video and test it out.

I run 5 cams on 20 sec video with a 30 sec delay. The reason i like video is because you would be shocked on how many times a big buck is right behind a little buck which 75% of the time you miss due to delay. For me watching it is pretty simple i just put my sd card in my laptop and it plays them all no problem. I dont have to open any app or anything. Just click threw them i skip threw some of the videos. I usally get around 100 so videos this time a year is slow but only thing if your not careful when you set up and get a 1000 videos or stick or something dumb.

I have VLC on my computer and I couldn't get it to do what you are looking for. I also have Media Player Classic-HC and that does what you are looking for. Just tried both of them now. I always check my cards by clicking computer and then finding the drive(H) where the sd card is.

EDIT: I did get the VLC to work like you want it to. I opened the VLC media player, click media, click open folder, click computer, click H drive, highlight folder and click select folder. There might be a quicker way to do it through VLC. The Media Player Classic is quicker for me to get into.

Last edited:
Hey was wonder what people choose when they set there trail cams out. Video or Picture? Length and delay?
For me it depends on my purpose. For QDM purposes, I set them for pictures with the highest resolution. As for delay, my situation may be unique. I'm running a network of 11 wireless cameras with solar panels in permanent locations that run 24/7/365. So, I play with my delay between pictures for each camera so that on average the solar panel is providing slightly more charging energy than the camera uses to take and transmit pictures. With this kind of programming the battery acts as an energy buffer. It covers peaks when I get multiple days of cloudy weather or unusually high levels of activity. The battery level fluctuates but is eventually fully recharged by the panel before it drops too low for the camera to operate properly. This allows my to stay away from my cameras for many months at a time. Every picture I get is analyzed for content and that content is recorded in a database. I query the database in different ways over different time periods to help make and support my management decisions. I found the time it takes to process video and the amount of storage it takes to retain it are high costs compared to the content information that can be extracted for QDM decision making.

I also teach hunter education classes. Video is a great tool for aspects of education. I generally use stand-alone cameras designed for video for that. I can then edit the videos to show different aspects of deer behavior (scrapes, rubs, sparing, etc.).

Thanks,

Jack

I have anywhere from 10-15 cameras out at the farm. Usually 4-6 weeks between checks. It just takes too long to sort through 1000s of videos. Pics are bad enough. I have 2 cheap cams that perform better on video than pic. It drives me crazy watching all the videos. They are great when the subject is a target buck, though.

There are some players that will autoplay. That will save time - even still, a couple hundred videos at 20 seconds a piece is a solid amount of time to endure.

That's what I do. But if I don't see anything I'm interested in at the beginning I click ahead to about the midway point, 15 seconds for me on my 30 second videos, and if there is still nothing interesting I close it and move on to the next. As the rut approaches I watch more of the video as you never know who is following in tow.

I do pretty much the same. I set mine for ten second videos and if I don't like what I see I click on the next one.

I have an older version of Windows than Windows 7 and have found that my new Bushnell cameras video recordings will not play on an older verison of Windows Media Player than Windows 12! I have tried the AVI and Divx players with no luck.

I don't mean to hijack, but does anybody know how to print or save a pic from a video? Is this even possible? Do I need to buy special software?