All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using Terra-Sorb (or not)

MojoRisin

5 year old buck +
Is Terra-Sorb a recommended product to use on trees that are from 6'-8' before a spring planting? The product mentions dipping seedlings in the gel-like material after it is mixed with water. Would the same apply with larger trees?

MJR - I've sprinkled it dry and mixed it with soil for backfilling 4 to 6 ft. trees in spring plantings. I never lost a tree. When I put the water to them while backfilling and after they are finished, the once-dry crystals absorb the water and keep the soil moist. I've never had any problems doing it that way. FWIW info-wise.

I've mixed it with 3 gallons of water in a 5 gallon bucket to make a slurry (careful, mix the crystals and let it sit for a minute before adding more crystals...it takes a minute to gel) and then dipped the entire rootball into the slurry before placing the rootball in your planting whole. Doing so provides good adhesion of the crystals to the entire root structure. Works like a charm.

Thanks for the advice.

If I do go with the slurry route, how long does it stay usable on the bucket? I will be doing 6 trees and will be solo and I'm a rookie, so the process will likely take me the better portion of a day. Does it stay slurry or would I be better off with the dry method BnB mentioned?

Mojo - it says wet for a long time... if it starts to dry out (which I doubt it will during a single day) you can always add more water.

As mentioned above, be careful not to use too many crystals. They expand to 100's of times their original size after they soak up the water. Add a little at a time so you don't get an overflow (don't ask me how I know that) :emoji_nerd:

I will try that method as well this Spring. What I've always done in the past is I'll take 3 of my bare root trees and let them soak in a 5 gallon bucket bucket of water. I'll fill the bucket up 70 per full. I usually ordered 10 trees at a time in the past so I'd have a few buckets going at a time but I usually let them soak for no more than an hour or so at a time. While your planting one , let the others soak up.

I've used similar products called Watersorb, and Waterkeep. I found it best to make a slurry and dip the root ball. Whether it makes a difference or not really depends. If you plan to provide supplemental water during establishment when needed, I wouldn't bother with it. If you are planting a tree for wildlife and plan to walk away from it, it probably has benefit if you get dry conditions or have sandy soil that does not hold water well. I've got heavy clay. I use it when planting bare root trees but for my rootmaker trees with well developed root balls, I don't bother most of the time.

Thanks,

Jack

The dry method I've used is because the trees I've planted had a root ball too large to easily fit in a 5 gal. bucket for the slurry method. I read about the dry method - mixing some dry crystals in with backfill soil - somewhere on this forum or the QDMA one, or another one a few years ago. It works for large root balls, if you run into that problem. I think once the crystals get wet in the soil, they swell and retain the water.

Good luck either way, gents !! I hope we all get our trees planted safe & sound this spring.

The dry method I've used is because the trees I've planted had a root ball too large to easily fit in a 5 gal. bucket for the slurry method. I read about the dry method - mixing some dry crystals in with backfill soil - somewhere on this forum or the QDMA one, or another one a few years ago. It works for large root balls, if you run into that problem. I think once the crystals get wet in the soil, they swell and retain the water.

Good luck either way, gents !! I hope we all get our trees planted safe & sound this spring.

Yeah bosnbucks - I wouldn't hesitate to use the dry method (in fact I prefer it, seems easier and less messy). Either way will work, no idea if one is better than the other.

Do you know the material in all of these "gels" is the same stuff they put in baby diapers? Just a little trivia for anyone still reading :)

-John