USING 71 jd PLANTER FOR FIRST TIME

DJL

Yearling... With promise
Question for you guys on the site is: Im planting beans with 3 row planter in field that had corn in last year that was brush hogged. I have a rototiller for my tractor is that the way to go to prepare seed bed or is a plow better to break up stalks or both? Thanks

DJ

Some of the farmers I've talked to say plowing is best to get the green matter and weed seed deep.

Personally I'm in the keep your organic matter at the top camp. So if I had to til it wouldn't be deep. I'd lightly roto till.

I used a plow and disc for several years simply because those where the tools I had. I have started tilling more recently and I think it produces a better seed bed and helps keep more moisture in the soil. It's also one tool vs having to jack with changing over to different tools. Getting those corn stalks chopped and in contact with the soil early and well before your turning dirt will help reduce any complications. I have never plowed and then tilled - I have no idea what that will produce for you.

I have a JD71 planter and here is what I do. I set my 6' KK tiller so it's tilling about 6" deep and till the stalks up. There will still be a bunch of matter in the top few inches but it will be broken down really nice. I plant beans on 30" rows with the 71 into the tilled up cornstalks with no problems.

I usually brushhog the stalks in late January/ early February, the stalks really blow-up/shatter in the cold.

I have a 3 row JD71 also and I bush hog the stalks, run the disc over them just to cut them up, then till 2-4" deep and you get a great seed bed for that planter. I have done corn on corn, beans on corn, and beans on beans with this method. Works great.

I tried plowing 2 years ago on one plot and I brought up a ton of old weed seed, which I am still dealing with. Never had so many weeds in my plot in the past. It was terrible. Most of them were RR resistant ragweed and pigweed too, which really messed up that plot. I will never touch the plow to another plot at the farm again:emoji_laughing:

Thanks for all the responses guys. I really appreciate it. I will just bush hog stalks (already did last week ) then lightly till with my 5' KK tiller then plant. I will save my money and buy somthing else instead of the plow since I already own the tiller (always somthing else out there to spend money on for the farm :). Happy Spring

DJ