Unique trees?

eZARBnph.jpg

bxkhQQRh.jpg

I had two oaks that had a "witches broom" between them. It was there for several years but just recently must have fallen victim to high winds. Sorry no picture to show but basically it is what amounts to a branch that is growing out of and attached to the trunks of both trees.

Every beech tree in my in laws woods has somebody’s name carved into it. They seem to be a blank canvas for budding artists.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I saw this one today while airing the dog out at the county fairgrounds...interesting old oak that I hadn't ever noticed before and thought of this thread.

op9Ee63.jpg

I had a tree the was bent at a 90 degree angle, and the growth out of it looked like a fork. I watched it for years, hoping to cut it down some day. Then the wind got it and it's gone. Next time I'll cut the cool tree down sooner :emoji_angry:

No pictures but there was a tree I remember vividly from my childhood at our cabin.
It was a pine with three vertical shoots that were next to each other, each separated by around 2 feet. The main “trunk” grew at a 30 degree angle to the ground. It always reminded me of a harp. It died around the same time as my grandfather, for some reason the tree always made me think of him.
Love this thread.

This is my Jurassic tree. I actually cut his little brother down to let the sunlight hit the floor. When I got to him with the saw it dawned on me that this tree had already lived longer than I’m going too.

It got a pass from my crazy obsession to make deer habitat.

84D67B33-96C6-4BF7-8B08-F249B62425B0.jpeg86301B7F-F78F-451C-8D57-2B90BC3D2EB4.jpeg

This tree is not unique because of its looks but because of where it is out in the middle of our hay field. It's an early dropper and the deer know it's there.

Faxuut0.jpg

VExhPnG.jpg

Here's a unique one I found while tracking deer this past season. It's a sugar maple with 5 or 6 major limbs that all kind of grow strangely downward and then back up. I'm guessing another tree, long since rotted away, fell on this maple a very long time ago causing it to grow as it did. What do you think?

IMG_4566.JPG

IMG_4567.JPG

Found this blackjack oak on public land last year. These are typically scrub trees, so this one is TRULY ancient.
ea68c14492faacd2c7c6fbe4e41f9e86.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Natty that tree has to have been shaped by another fallen tree. The way a few of those loops line up it sure looks like what you described. Crazy.

Northbound's pix of trees in the "act" of reproducing are killers !! I LOL on that post.

Your description and picture must be like my mind works. Twisted, I guess I can blame it on the neurons.

;)

Cool trees ya'll!

I ran across a few cool trees today on a public land scouting trip. Two of them are probably the biggest specimens of each species I have seen. And the knee shaped tree is just plain unique...

This Bois D’arc (Osage orange/hedgeapple) is astoundingly big. My topper 88 is leaned against it for reference.
912c260e4d34dcb57ca114318a6765c8.jpg

This Burr Oak is also massive, topper 88 again for size reference.
03f3a228e18850fefaeecd86b1769d98.jpg

And then, I found this “knee” tree. It isn’t old enough to be an Indian marker tree, but sure looks like it could have been one if it was 100 years ago.
e34a3bc6595134f58b81710ec3782b03.jpg

I went back out and got some measurements on the bent tree pictured above to see if it is in the age range to make it a potential Indian marker tree. It is interesting how small trees can look without a human in the picture for perspective.
bfe39e87f4c72db0a1c0096f1197e191.jpg

I am hoping to hear back from the arboriculturist soon and will post what they say.

Here's a unique one I found while tracking deer this past season. It's a sugar maple with 5 or 6 major limbs that all kind of grow strangely downward and then back up. I'm guessing another tree, long since rotted away, fell on this maple a very long time ago causing it to grow as it did. What do you think?

View attachment 22612

View attachment 22615
Very unique!! Those crooks are perfect natural "chairs", the kind that make you want to climb up to take a rest, swing your legs, and enjoy nature.