All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Twist apple tree from Lowe’s

Charles Clear

5 year old buck +
I took a chance and bought this apple tree at Lowe’s on clearance for 8$. Pretty strange concept. Will they choke each other out? 923787E8-AE41-40D9-AE81-7FCE351C6FD2.jpegFC101037-AA56-4E2D-8C50-A04EB3DE2303.jpeg

It's not a healthy way to grow a tree. Foreign matter can get between the trunks causing rot or allowing insects to nest there.
When a tree is that inexpensive you can buy it and cut out one of the varieties. You can even bud graft one to the other, but growing two trees twisted around each other is asking for problems. Who needs more problems to fight?

Last edited:
Thank you Prof Kent! I figured I’d wasted 8$ on dumber things before so why not lol

I would bet it is on some big time dwarfing root stock too ...

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2015/05/15/new-twisted-trees-produce-apples-on-their-own/

I just looked the tree up and came across this ... I dont think you are out anything, we had a crab/apple tree in our yard for years ... they eventually grew together, it just was never 100% right, maybe if it had been "twisted" ...

They are a large whole seller .. one would think this was a bad idea but maybe if you get them started early enough who knows- with only a 1 year warranty they are not out anything .... I might just try it,...

:emoji_thinking:Their from Wisconsin - so they gotta be on to something :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Last edited:
The article says it's two rootstocks/two trees. Pull them apart and plant them separately, 2 trees for the price of one

The article says it's two rootstocks/two trees. Pull them apart and plant them separately, 2 trees for the price of one
That was my thought. For $8 it would be worth a shot.

I'd plant as is, life is short.
Might make an interesting old tree someday. Or flop, oh well. Only down 8 bucks.
I'd just not stick him in a prime spot.

For 8 bucks it would be cool to see what happens I would have done it