Turkey time

Red

5 year old buck +
My dad and I went out Saturday morning for the first hunt of the year. He insisted I take the first shot this year since he did last. We ended up walking out with a nice Tom.
We hunted over a clover food plot that we put in 3 years ago. It hasn't greened up much yet but it still draws the birds in.
10 yards with a Magnus Bullhead broadhead. It's my first bird with that style of broadhead. It worked fantastic.
image.jpeg

Great bird!

Awesome! Congrats!

Nice work

Great job. Nice bird. I like how you and your dad trade first shots from year to year. My brother and I do the same when we hunt together.

Congrats on the bird and for sharing who goes first opportunities.

Awesome!!

Congrats Red! Now time to get one for the old man!

Yeah, we still need to get him is bird. I was hoping the jakes would come attack this tom while he was flopping around but they hovered too far back for him to get a shot at one. We hit the woods Sunday morning and struck out pretty hard.
Taking a buddy out this Saturday to see if we can get him his first bird. Then get my dad back out.

Congrats!

Wow with a bow is something. Congrats.

Nice bird and great job with the bow !!

The old man beat me again.
Saturday night he was able to arrow one. 22.5 lbs and 1.25" spurs. Mine was only 20 lbs and spurs weren't worth measuring. The beard on mine was 1.25" longer so he didn't totally shut me out.
Unfortunately I wasn't able to be in the blind with him on that hunt. Sounds like I missed a good show. He took off feathers with the first arrow while Mr. Tom was having "relations" with the hen decoy. The second arrow found it's mark though and he only made it about 15 yards.
His second year hunting turkeys and his second bird. I think I'm more excited about his bird than my own....
Since this is a habitat board, don't look too close that the clover plot. It's not looking so good at the moment.
IMG_0428.JPG

Nice bird. As far as the clover plot, it looks about as good as mine usually do with our sand.

Just add some water and this place would make a heck of a beach.
If we get some rain, it will green up nice but any gap in moisture and it gets stressed pretty hard.

Congrats on the birds! As long as the deer you want are using the plot I would not be so concerned on how pretty it is.

1 small square bale of straw per 60 sqft and ad much manure as you can possible get here will do wonders for this. I would also take 1/2 the plot and get a couple rotations of buckwheat in and then do the other half the following year.

X-2 with Shawn on the straw and manure. My Dad and I used that combo to improve the soil in our BIG garden some years ago. It was clayish soil and it got to be crumbly and " fluffy " after the straw / manure treatment. It tilled up real nice. Buckwheat is also a good soil builder for adding organic material to the soil.