All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

turkey gobbling non stop

huntall

5 year old buck +
Iv been hunting a turkey that gobbles untill a hen comes to him an then he will fly down. He gobbles a bunch untill hen shows up. Sometimes waits and hen fly to his tree and then he shuts up and hits the ground. I mean he really gobbles more than I ever seen one do. Like he's calling all hens in.
He gobbled over 100 times this evening. Me and my son gonna b set up on him and not gonna call till he hits the ground. We going to set up on the side he always heads to.
I'd love for my 13 yr old boy to get him!

He is boss bird....no other gobbler will make a sound.
It rained today and should be able to slip in without all the crunchy leaves.

If you call to him in the tree he gobbles non stop . Not working out for me yet, but I have big hope for tommorrow. He will probably win again but never know

Go get him. Good luck to you and your son!

If you call to him in the tree he will just wait for you to come to him. I would never call to a bird on the roost it usually never works out. He knows where the hens are so he's got the advantage. What you need to do is get the advantage. Separate him from the hens and he will be in frantic mode. You can do this the night before if you know where he's roosting just sit there and don't let him roost there. Or once he flies down run in and scare him off. He will start gobbling again probably within an hour. This would only be done early season when theres lots of hens with him. Later on he just may not be that enthused and go silent for the day.

Be patient. You'll get him. When toms are henned up real good I will often do a late AM hunt..10:30 or 11:00. Often by then the hens are heading to nest the the bosses are alone and looking for love.

Good luck to you both. I'll be watching for your victory photo!

Good luck to you an your boy!

Man!!!!! We came so Close to getting him. Preston set up way in front of me because gobbler always has hens come to him. I actually set near tree hen was in.

He gobbled at first light. Gobble for about 15 min No hen came....he finally flew down opposite direction of course. Then I called one time and he awnsered and I shut up for about 5 min and then just a little. ..just enough calling to keep him interested
He real close to my son. He heard him drumming but didn't even know what drumming was. Preston could see him through bushes . Bird gobbled at least 100 times.

I just knew I was fixen to hear my son shoot.
I didn't even know the hen was in tree near me and the hen flew all the way to gobbler and no more gobbles.

Man....I was so disappointed he didn't kill him, but my son said" I don't even care, that's the closest iv ever been to one gobbling and drumming and I didn't even know what drumming was"
He was excited so I'd say that's a successful hunt and I'm happy he didn't just take a shot through the bushes

Last edited:
That's awesome. When you can hear then spitting and drumming and dragging their wings you know he's close. Can't wait to see your pic when Preston finally bags him.

Good luck with that big rascal. Like Natty said - late morning could be the ticket. He will be like the song - Looking for Love in all the wrong places.

Totally awesome! When they gooble and just about blow the hat off your head, you know they are close! Good luck! Go git 'em!

(Man....I was so disappointed he didn't kill him, but my son said" I don't even care, that's the closest iv ever been to one gobbling and drumming and I didn't even know what drumming was"
He was excited so I'd say that's a successful hunt and I'm happy he didn't just take a shot through the bushes)

This is just great to read. FANTASTIC outlook by your son. YOU BOTH ARE SUCCESSFUL ALREADY.

(Man....I was so disappointed he didn't kill him, but my son said" I don't even care, that's the closest iv ever been to one gobbling and drumming and I didn't even know what drumming was"
He was excited so I'd say that's a successful hunt and I'm happy he didn't just take a shot through the bushes)

This is just great to read. FANTASTIC outlook by your son. YOU BOTH ARE SUCCESSFUL ALREADY.
He didn't even ask are we coming back to our place to hunt next weekend. ..he just said" man...we got to get him next weekend "
lol

I'll bet the hair was standing up on the back of his neck when that tom was that close !! Cool story. Keep at him !!

If you call to him in the tree he will just wait for you to come to him. I would never call to a bird on the roost it usually never works out. He knows where the hens are so he's got the advantage. What you need to do is get the advantage. Separate him from the hens and he will be in frantic mode. You can do this the night before if you know where he's roosting just sit there and don't let him roost there. Or once he flies down run in and scare him off. He will start gobbling again probably within an hour. This would only be done early season when theres lots of hens with him. Later on he just may not be that enthused and go silent for the day.

THIS IS VERY GOOD AVISE, AS IS THE LATE MORNING HUNT.

I PREFER TO BUST HIM AWAY AND TRY TO SEPARATE HIM EARLY IN THE MORNING IF I CAN BEFORE THE HENS GET TO HIM. IF I CAN'T DO THAT I OFTEN JUST WAIT UNTIL 10:30 OR 11.

I HAVE CALLED IN THE FIRST GOBBLER FOR TONS OF FOLKS AND IT IS A FAR BETTER FEELING WATCHING THEM GET ONE THAN WHEN I DO. I DON'T HAVE A SON, BUT MAN AM I ROUTING FOR YOU TWO!!!! GOOD LUCK.