All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

blueKYstream

5 year old buck +
I was looking to build a turkey fan mount that I could use for multiple birds I've killed (several beards not yet displayed). I decided to distress some rough-sawn pine boards from the big box store. I originally intended to white wash the whole thing, but I really liked the stain I was using as an undertone, so I went half and half: white washed frame with stained backboards. I think it came out just like I had hoped! I have a few mementos and beards to add, but it's complete for all intents and purposes. I posted a video with a list of all the tools & materials I used on my channel if anyone wants to make their own: Video.

1.jpg
3.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    568.8 KB · Views: 18
That came out great. I have been thinking about something similar. Thanks for posting.

Very nice!
I think turkeys have the coolest feathers, I save the all tails and a few the wings even did a full cape with one. They were re-introduced here in my area about fifteen years ago and have spread out in bigger woods and along rivers. I've been luckey enough to shoot a few in my county even on our own place. I enjoy seeing and hearing them and have tried to plant some shrubs and things that are a benefit to turkeys.

Looks great! How’s the turkey population in your area? Seems to be declining in the areas I hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was looking to build a turkey fan mount that I could use for multiple birds I've killed (several beards not yet displayed). I decided to distress some rough-sawn pine boards from the big box store. I originally intended to white wash the whole thing, but I really liked the stain I was using as an undertone, so I went half and half: white washed frame with stained backboards. I think it came out just like I had hoped! I have a few mementos and beards to add, but it's complete for all intents and purposes. I posted a video with a list of all the tools & materials I used on my channel if anyone wants to make their own: Video.

View attachment 26290
View attachment 26293
That looks great!

Very cool!

Thanks for the kind words! Turkey population in my area is steady. When I was a little guy, we used to see flocks of 40-50 turkeys. I don't see the large groups anymore, but it's always been stable. I'll never forget a hunt where easily 50 birds, including a few white ones, flew in over the trees and landed right next to 3 of us hunting one Fall afternoon.

I like it a lot. Can you give more details on the stain and whitewashing products and process you used? I don’t like many of the whitewashes is see, but that looks good.

I like it a lot. Can you give more details on the stain and whitewashing products and process you used? I don’t like many of the whitewashes is see, but that looks good.

Sure, if you follow the link to the video, you will see all of the materials and tools I used to craft it, including the stains, in the description box below the video.

Man that looks awesome, If I can ever drop a big one this will be on my list of things to build. Great job

Man that looks awesome, If I can ever drop a big one this will be on my list of things to build. Great job

Thanks! I’m not the most gifted craftsman or creative person but it turned out exactly like I had hoped...in some ways even better. I like the barn wood look without the price. I I like that multiple beards can be added over the years too.